Chapter Forty-Two

Chapter Forty-Two

Elle

      “We really have to go,” I told the tot, trying desperately to pry her off of my aching leg. After the skiing trip with Nick last weekend, the area from my waist down had been killing me (which may or may not have had to do with the amount of times I fell).

      It was a fun excursion to say the least, and distracted me from my real life for just enough time. We were back, though, and school came as a priority, as did “work”. For me, work meant watching two teens bicker over what TV show to watch and trying to convince a four year old that marshmallows weren’t the innards of unicorns.

      “But, Elle!” she whined, her grasp only tightening, “can’t you stay five more minutes?”

      “I really wish I could, but Nick and I have to go somewhere,” I said apologetically as her mother merely smiled at the encounter. She didn’t bother to step in and rip her daughter off of me, no, she just watched as if it was the cutest thing ever.

      “Where do you have to go?” her sea-colored eyes filled with innocence looked up into my own, captivating me.

      “Somewhere,” I answered.

      “Where?” she demanded.

      “Somewhere,” I reiterated, not needing to go into my personal life with a child of her age.

      “Where?” the whine escaped her mouth for a second time, as I finally managed to peel her off my sore extremity.

      My lips parted, about to say something, though my trusty sidekick and boyfriend decided to step in. “On a date,” were the brilliant words I had been keeping from the little girl.

      “Oooooh! Elle and Nicky sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-S-S-S-S—” she began to taunt, smiling widely at the two of us.

      “Bella, dear, I think that’s enough,” Meredith decided to finally take control.

      “But, mommy!” Bella protested.

      “But nothing,” her mother said firmly.

      “All I was trying to say was that Nicky and Elle are in love and I think that they should get married and live happily ever after together forever and ever and ever and ever and ever, just like in the princess movies! Oh! Elle, when you have babies I think you should name one of them Olive and the others Pepper, Salt, Bumblebee, Cutie, Pretty, Girlie, Princess, Sparkles, and Diamond! Wouldn’t Diamond be a pretty name for a baby? I think it would be,” she sighed happily, leaving my expression in awe as usual.

      “If you would like our hypothetical daughter to be a stripper, then I think that ‘Diamond’ would be a perfect name,” Nick whispered to me.

      “Shut up!” I slapped him.

      “Mommy, Elle said a bad word!” Bella pointed an accusing finger at me as I realized what she was talking about.

      “It’s not a bad word, and they have to leave,” Kennedy defended.

      “I hope you get it in tonight, dude,” Jack wished Nick, as Nick pulled him in for a “manly” hug, and every female in the room began to chastise him except for Bella, who simply didn’t know any better.

      “I’ll try, bro,” Nick laughed, as I slapped the back of his head.

      “Elle, stop being abusive,” Nick released from his embrace with the teen, smirking at me.