Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Elle

“Mind if I go dance with someone?” Jake asked, standing up from the table, and placing his white napkin on his seat.

“No, not at all,” I replied, watching him go off onto the crowded dance floor, disappearing, and leaving me seated at a table full of people I didn’t particularly want to be held hostage in a conversation with at the moment.

“So, you ski?” Kara asked beside me, I looked up, about to respond when I realized she was talking to Aspen. Gross. I took my phone out from my purse, and searched through my contacts until I found the name I wanted. I clicked “Send Message” and my previous texts showed up. I typed, “Where the hell are you?” and placed my phone on the table.

“So Elle, where’d your boyfriend go?” Nick asked smugly.

“He went to go dance with someone,” I answered, unmoved by his remark. I looked up at the sea of dancing people, and saw Jake, on his knees, with his hands outstretched, dancing with a little girl. I bit my lip, and smiled. That’s one of the many examples of why Jake is perfect… “Yeah, he’s dancing with someone.”

Nick looked over to where I had, and frowned, noticing that Jake was indeed dancing with someone… someone extremely short and adorable, but nevertheless, still someone. “I don’t like kids,” Nick said, using it as an excuse as to why he too wasn’t dancing with a five year old.

“Boo!” someone said, putting their hands on my shoulders as I jumped up in surprise. I slowly turned, to face none other than Phillip Anderson, in the flesh, standing behind me- tuxedo and all. I shrieked, embracing him tightly, as he hugged me back just as tight.

“Phillip!” I said, not yet releasing him.

“Elle!” he said, smiling at me goofily.

“I’ve missed you!” I said, “Texas had better not have turned my best friend completely southern, it didn’t, did it?”

“No, I’m not southern. Still the same accent-less boy I was before,” he assured me, grinning.

“Good.”

“Uh… Nick, come here bro!” he called. Nick stood up without a question, and tackled him into a “Manly” hug.

“How are you, dude?” Nick asked.

“Cold. It’s so hot down there! I missed this weather though,” Phillip answered.

Phillip grew up with us. He was our friend, but Nick and he were especially close. They both played football, every other sport imaginable, and skied. They both had older brothers the same age, who were also best friends, and got along great. Phillip and I were also pretty good friends when we were younger. We never fought, and always understood each other. As we got older, our relationship only strengthened, to the point where I too can call him one of my best friends. I love Phillip.

“So, can I introduce you two to someone?” Phillip asked.

“Sure,” I said. Nick nodded.

“Clayton! Come here!” he called, to a guy standing off in the distance, looking out of place. He was wearing a gray suit, opposed to the customary crisp black. He was a good-looking guy. Tall, thin, dark hair, gray eyes. He was cute. As he came up us, he stood awkwardly next to Phillip. “Uh… let’s go out in the hall so I can formally introduce the three of you.”

“Whatever bro,” Nick said, putting his hand on Phillip’s shoulder, “I’m just glad to see ya!”

“Right back at’cha!” Phillip said.