Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

Elle

       “If you scare him, I will kill you,” I threatened my two older relatives as we rushed down the crowded stairs.

       “Oh come on, Elle! Us? Scare him? No way!” James said, as our feet thumped against the steps.

       “It’s more of a concern that he lives up to our standards,” Duke added.

       “Yeah, I’m not really too worried about that,” I said, rolling my eyes.

       “Elle, everything’s going to be alright,” James assured me, sensing my tenseness. “We’re not wearing the zombie costumes like we had wanted to thanks to your begging, and we’re dressed moderately casually. Chill.”

       I took a deep breath, thankful that they had actually listened to me regarding their attire for the evening. Though it was a Halloween party, that didn’t mean they needed to dress like straight up zombies. When James does something, he doesn’t do it half way, he goes as far as he can without (or sometimes with) breaking the law. If I had condemned Duke and he to wear zombie outfits, then they would’ve gone all the way to actually appear like the living dead. With James, there is no in between.

       “Thanks,” I said.

       “Sure, but if you and Jake don’t work out, I really think this nice boy named Nick Ross may be a perfect match for you,” James said, as I slapped his shoulder. Jerk.

       “I like Jake, get the hell over it. You’re like fifty, why am I even talking to you?”

       “Burn!” Duke said, laughing.

       “I seriously can’t stand the two of you…” I sighed, shaking my head.

       “Elle!” someone shouted from the crowd that had gathered in our front room. I don’t even know how the boys convinced me to have a party at our place. Honestly, I think they may have used hypnosis to get me to consent to having what I thought to be a “small get together”. With Nick and John, there is no “small”. Everything, much like with my uncle, is to the extreme.

       As I looked through our living space, I saw faces I knew, and ones not familiar to me. People had red plastic cups in their hands, and were dancing to the loud music that was playing thanks to one of Nick’s dear friends who happened to be a DJ. The lighting in the room was subdued, and the walls were lined with Halloween esc decorations. There were cotton candy-like cobwebs, plastic skeletons, and carved pumpkins scattered about. Personally, I think Halloween is an overrated holiday, but the place still looked pretty cool.

       I looked up, wondering who had called me over the musical notes blasting from the surround sound speakers our parents (well, more Danni) had had the sense in putting in. I locked eyes with a good-looking male who I knew fairly well. I abandoned the two losers who were somehow related to me, and walked through the sea of hormonal college students, until I reached the door.

       My eyes glazed over his strong features, and my pulse quickened. Jake was adorable. From the way his brown curls messily sat on his head, to his glistening eyes, he was perfect.

       “Hey Elle,” he greeted, “you look beautiful.”

       “Thanks,” I said, blushing, “you look cute.”

       “Great job with the party,” he complimented, looking around.

       “Unfortunately, I can’t take all the credit,” I said, smirking, “I had some help.”