Chapter Thirty-Nine

Chapter Thirty-Nine

Elle

      “Do you like popcorn?” Nick inquired, staring up at the illuminated menu that hung well above our heads.

      I blinked at him, the whole “getting to know you” game becoming a little excessive, seeing as how we both knew one another practically better than we knew ourselves. “What do you think?”

      “A simple yes or no will do just fine.”

      “No, no I don’t,” I rolled my eyes, aware that he knew fully well that I wasn’t a fan of the burst kernels.

      “Do you want to pretend to?”

      “No,” I scoffed. “Nick, I don’t like popcorn.”

      “Why are you so difficult, Elle?” he whined. “I wanted to make a romantic gesture, so when we were in the theater and both reached for the box at the same time, we could hold hands.”

      I gazed at him, wondering for a millisecond why I actually put up with all the craziness this boy possessed, but quickly shook it away, knowing the answer to my unspoken question. He was Nick. “That’s very nice, but I’d rather get Reece’s Pieces,” I said, thinking fondly of the M&M shaped food that contained sugary peanut butter within.

      “Way to kill a idealistic moment, Elle,” he shook his head in annoyance. He addressed the individual behind the counter, a girl no more than sixteen who blushed as Nick spoke to her, requesting a brief list of edible items from the public inventory of options.

      “Um, that’ll be ten dollars, and, uh, sixty-nine cents,” the adolescent said shyly, biting her lip as her eyes raked Nick up and down.

      “Sixty-nine, huh?” Nick smirked.

      “Don’t be immature,” I smacked him.

      “Are you comparing me to a child?” he demanded.

      “Did you hear a comparison in my words?”

      “No.”

      “My point exactly,” I huffed.

      “I’m sorry for her behavior, she just woke up from a nap,” Nick apologized to the girl undressing him with her eyes as he passed over a non-crinkled, green bill.

      “Oh, it’s, uh, fine,” she said, adding a weak smile. To be honest, if I was her age and for some reason was interacting with a boy as attractive as Nick, I too might be a little flustered.

      “So, Cynthia,” Nick read her nametag, glancing up to meet her eyes, “how’s it going?”

      The girl was clearly thrown off by Nick’s random inquiry, so it took her a few seconds until understanding registered on her face. “Um, fine. You?”

      “Well, this chick is really bugging me right now, and making it difficult for me to be a nice guy,” he said pointedly, his remarks directed at me.

      “I never said I wanted to go to the movies,” I sighed. “I was fine sleeping back at the condo. I have a term paper due on Thursday, and had no problem doing nothing. You were the one who dragged me here.”

      “And now she’s blaming me,” Nick told the concession stand worker. “Unbelievable.”

      “Nick, please, for the love of all that is good in this world, shut up,” I yawned, unhappy that he woke me up from a blissful sleep in the middle of the day.