Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Nick

I walked into the vast auditorium lined with seats from wall to wall, taking in the scene in front of me. It looked like a stadium. About half the rows were filled with what looked to be well-educated, elite students. I couldn’t believe I was actually taking this course. I was so going to fail. Slowly, I scanned through the rows when my eyes landed on a brunette girl I knew far too well, talking to a professional woman, probably the professor. Elle, you always were one to bond with the teachers!

       She caught me staring at her as she looked up, and sent a cold glare my way. So maybe sitting with Elle wasn’t exactly on the agenda for today... She was still mad about the whole drink thing. I turned to the right, and saw an empty seat next to a redheaded girl. What the hell. I walked past some seats, and sat down next to her.

       “Hi, I’m Nick,” I greeted, placing my backpack down on the floor in front of me. I unzipped it, and withdrew my silver colored laptop on which I would be vigorously taking notes.

       “Ciara,” she said, smiling at me. She glanced down to the computer in her lap, and asked, “So, are you a psych major?”

       “No!” I said quickly. Yes, that’s right, this class is for psychology. Its official tittle was something like, “An Introduction to Basic Psychology.” Now, I know what you’re thinking- You, Nick Ross, interested in something as philosophical as psychology? No! Couldn’t be! Don’t worry, it wasn’t.

       Most teens go through a stage in their life known as the “rebellious” years. I never went through that time period. I was always an out there kid, who did pretty much whatever the heck I wanted. I liked my parents, had nothing to complain about, and liked my life- resulting in a lack of those wonderful unruly times.

       How do rebellion and psychology have anything to do with each other? Well, it’s my own little way of rebelling. My parents think I’ll become a doctor, lawyer, sports player, or a successful businessman- psychology doesn’t fit into that plan. So, naturally, just to put a dent in their expectations of me, I had to sign up for the course when I saw it. Not the most exciting thing, but who cares.

       “What’re you majoring in then?” she asked, as her long fingernails hovered above the keyboard, before swiftly typing something.

       “I don’t know. Procrastination, maybe?” I said.

       “Nice, dude,” she laughed.

       “How ‘bout you?” I asked, as my eyes found their way back to Elle’s standing body, as she continued to talk to the professor.

       “Uh… unfortunately, law.”

       “Law?” I repeated.

       “Yeah, not too interesting, but I think it’s cool.”

        “So, why are you here?” I asked, confused.

       “Exploring my options,” she shrugged.

       “Cool.”

       “That your girlfriend?” she asked, nodding her head in the direction of Elle.

       “Who?” I questioned, not entirely sure to whom she was refering.

       “The chick you keep staring at,” she replied.

       “Uh… no.”

       “Do you know her?” she pressed, as her computer made a clacking sound as her fingers pressed down on the black keys.