Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

Elle

      “Remind me to never go on a four-hour car ride with either of you ever again,” I said, as the car finally stopped in front the building we were almost positive Kara inhabited. I honestly didn’t have a clue what possessed me to agree to spending four hours in a car with two boys who weren’t exactly on the best terms, one of whom happening to be my ex boyfriend. I must really love Kara.

      “Oh, come on, Elle! You love me! Besides, I’m an awesome driver!” Nick said, as the three of us quickly unbuckled our seatbelts, sliding out of the car.

      “Are you serious? I’m way better!” John boasted.

      “You both suck at driving!” I groaned, thankful that I was given the duty of driving for even a quarter of the trip.

      “She’s just jealous that we’re going to be offered to join a NASCAR team and she won’t be,” Nick assured John confidently.

      “Elle Paterson!” a high-pitched voice shrieked. I looked up, and smiled as I saw Kara rushing over to us. As usual, she was a blur of pink, every article her outfit possessed coordinating with the others.

      “Kara Thompson!” I exclaimed, feeling the impact as she rammed me into a firm hug I had a hunch I wouldn’t be let out of for a good three and a half minutes.

      “I missed you so much!” she cried, tightening the hug more if possible.

      “I missed you too!” I managed to wheeze out.

      “Elle, I honestly don’t know how I’ve been able to survive without you!” she said, overdramatizing the situation as always.

      “What about me?” John said, clearly feeling as though his girlfriend had missed her best friend more than him, which she had.

      “Oh, right,” Kara said, finally allowing me to breathe by pulling away. “I’ve missed you too, babe!”

      “Clearly not enough!” he pouted.

      “Shut up! We video-chat, like, every night!” she justified.

      “But we don’t!” Nick said, opening up his arms for a hug.

      “Nick Ross! Ah! You get hotter every time I see you!” Kara said excitedly, hugging Nick, though with less enthusiasm she had me. “So, what’s your attractive face been up to?”

      “Oh, ya know, killing zombies and rescuing princess; so, nothing new,” Nick replied casually.

      “Figured. How’s the skanky bitch you’re dating to make Elle jealous?” she asked, peeling away from him, and gravitating back over to me.

      “She’s, uh, crazy. Yeah, that’s how I’d describe her. What do you think of Lexie, Elle?” Nick addressed me.

      “You summed her up: crazy,” I shrugged, not wanting to talk about Lexie while I was on vacation. The girl was too possessive, and absolutely nuts. The other night, she literally showed up at the condo at two in the morning because she “Missed” Nick. I swear, the girl probably kept forgetting to take her meds.

      “Well, that’s nice!” Kara plastered on a fake smile of indifference. “Let’s go in! I can’t wait to show you guys the apartment!”

      We all complied, quickly going back into the car to grab our suitcases (I had brought one, John three, and Nick four). After grabbing our luggage, we followed Kara up steep, snow-covered steps until we reached the redbrick building with vines growing up the side that she lived in. It was a nice building, aged but well kept. As we ascended up yet another set of stairs inside the physical structure, Kara told us all about how amazing New York City truly was.