Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Elle

      “Whoa! What happened to your face, Elle?” Nick laughed as expected at my appearance, as I stepped through the door.

      “Make fun; just remember, you suck, Ross,” I said.

      “On a last name basis now, are we?” he questioned, holding a smug look as his eyes glanced over my exterior once more.

      “Maybe,” I sighed, heading straight for the kitchen. I was hungry. I had had a hot dog while I was out with Jake, but it was pretty gross and didn’t satisfy my hunger.

      “Seriously, what happened to your face? Did you loose a bet or something?” he pestered.

      “No; Jake said we should paint our faces, so we did,” I said, not regretting the fact that my face was now a vision of red and white. Sure, I looked dumb, but so did Jake.

      “Ah, yes! How did the date with our dear friend, Jakey, go?”

      “Fine,” I answered, not wanting to discuss it with him. Talking to your ex boyfriend about your current boyfriend- ever heard of boundaries?

      If I was going to answer his question in more detail, I would’ve told him that today was a fairytale. Jake picked me up, and drove us to the stadium. I’m not one for baseball, but I was just excited to be with Jake.

      As we walked towards the sports arena, I saw blurs of red, white, and green everywhere. We were then swept away by other eager sports fans. Jake held my hand the entire time, so we wouldn’t get separated. We went through the agonizingly long process of security, and by the end, I was wishing that I had taken Jake’s advice, and hadn’t brought a purse.

      Once we were in the actual structure, I was in awe. It was so big, busy, green, and amazing! Jake led us through the crowd to a section, and we walked out into the glorious sunlight from the underground passageway we had been in. The feild’s freshly cut grass glistened, and even the dirt looked bright. We claimed our seats, and the game began. There were people yelling, screaming, and cheering, and the entire time Jake was trying to explain to me what was occuring.

      At about the fifth inning (Or was baseball divided into quarters?), the team we, or Jake, were rooting for hit the ball to the back of the feild, resulting in a homerun. Jake was so happy, he picked me up, and kissed me. Jake Anderson kissed me at a baseball game. Is was magical! Our date was just... a fairytale! But Nick didn’t need to know all that.

      “Where’d you go?” Nick asked, as I opened up the fridge, a cold wave of air splashing my face. It felt good. I had been sitting out in the hot sun for god knows how long, and the two things I wanted were air conditioning and food. Interesting combination, I know.

      “A game,” I replied simply.

      “What type of game?”

      “A baseball game,” I said, taking a bowl of grapes out of the culinary appliance.

      “Who was playing?”

      “I don’t know…” I said, knowing that I was torturing him with the lack of information he was receiving. Sports were Nick’s thing. He loved and was obsessed with them. He could name every team in the MBL, NFL, and NBA (He happened to be a strong believer that hockey didn’t count as an actual sport, so the NHL didn’t matter to him). I, on the other hand, could care so much less about sports.

      “Was it a major league game or a minor league one?” he asked.

      “I don’t know. They had on white uniforms,” I said, fully knowledgeable about what team was playing.