Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Elle

“You suck!”

“You’re such a nerd!”

“What a loser!”

“You have no friends!”

“You’re so ugly!”

“You’re weird!”

“Elle. What a stupid name!”

“You’ll never be good enough!”

The haunting voices passed by in my mind, as I tossed in turned, finally jolting up from this nightmare that was my past. Those words had caused the unbreakable Elle Paterson to break; shatter really. I had felt excluded, worthless, sad, depressed, lonely, and alone. Middle school sucked for me. I can’t believe those memories are still worrying me in the depths of my mind, even now.

But, the good thing is, that’s over, and behind me. I don’t have to think about waking up every morning just to try and survive the social board game that those few years in my life were. I don’t have to worry about where to sit at lunch, and who to sit with. I don’t have to think about whom I can trust, and who will betray me. I don’t have to do all that, because I’m thankfully not that girl anymore.

I shuffled out of bed, making a mental note to not take anymore mid-day naps, hopefully resulting in evading those dark dreams. I walked over to my desk, and pulled out my chair, seating myself in it. I opened up my computer, sighed onto iChat to see if anyone was on. Then it reached me. I caught a gust of the grossest thing ever invented.

“Nick!” I choked.

“What?” he called from across the hall.

“You don’t by chance happen to be wearing Abercrombie perfume, do you?” I questioned, as the sickening smell began to saturate every corner of my room.

Nick’s the type of boy who wears perfume. He may appear all macho on the outside, but underneath that exterior, lies a very metrosexual male who cares an enormous amount about his appearance, and has an ego to match. I can’t believe I wasted an entire year with him...

“Nope,” he called back. 

“You’re lying," I coughed. The scent was unbearable. I got up from my desk, and walked straight into his room, only to be overwhelmed by the uncontrollably intense aroma that was intoxicating my nostrils.

“Am not,” he smirked, as I saw him lounging on his bed, computer in lap. 

“Nick, as fun as perfume can be, there comes a point where enough is enough!” I said, covering my face so the pungent smell wouldn’t hit me as hard. 

“It’s not perfume,” he said simply.

“Oh really then what is it?” I asked, my voice muffled.

“I call it cologne.”

“How much did you spray?!” I demanded.

“Eh. Not that much,” he shrugged.

“Meaning?”

“About half the bottle maybe.”

“Half the bottle?! What the hell is wrong with you?!” I said, backing away to the door.

“Nothing,” he answered the rhetorical question.

“Right... Why couldn’t you be a normal preppy kid and wear Polo perfume? Or even Axe? I’d be fine with Axe! Why the hell do you even have Abercrombie perfume?!”