The Beginning

I step off the crowded bus into the suffocating streets of LA, even at midnight on a week night, there are people everywhere dressed as one of three things, dealer, hooker or rocker.
Me on the other hand am dressed modestly in light coloured jeans, my worn cowgirl boots and a tattered leather jacket (abandoned by my brother) covering a faded Rolling Stones shirt.

Instantly feeling out of place I sling my rucksack over my shoulder, looking around me as the overwhelming sense of freedom envelopes my small body. I smile as I pick a random direction and weave through the hordes of people beside the bus stop.

To fill you in, dear reader, I have run away from my household in Indiana and have used what little money I have saved throughout my existence to get myself to the sin city. My mission? To find my brother, get a job and start a life, safe from my past.
My happiness soon fades as awareness kicks in. The city is huge. How will I ever find William? Where do I start? What if my step-father comes after me? Where am I going to go? Where will I sleep?!

My breathing begins to quicken as my lungs start shrinking. I can't get enough air. I push my way to an abandoned alley way between an apartment block and a bar, sitting down against the brick and pulling my knees to my chest, I focus on getting oxygen into my body.
The ground is moving, fear grips my chest, my head is dizzy and my hands begin to sweat.

Warm hands grip mine and a soothing voice breaks through the sound of my heart thumping in my ears, "Breath, calm down honey, open your eyes and look at me."
I flick my eyes up to meet a pair of enchanting green ones, I can't focus on anything other than the fear of suffocating. "Count to ten with me darling, one..." I try to speak but only a short gasp escapes my lips.  "Two...." This time I manage to say the word with him. This continues until we reach ten and my breathing is steady.

I gaze up at my saviour to see a man on his knees in front of me, his warm, steady ring-clad hands still grip my own and his intense eyes never leave my frightened ones.
"You okay?"
"I think so....thank you", I say quietly, embarrassed that the first person I met in a new place had to witness me having a breakdown.
"I'm going to help you up...okay?"

I nod as the man gets on his feet and carefully pulls me up to my feet, only now doing so, I realise the height this man has on my short 5"4.

"Thank you." I repeat again, a blush covers my cheeks as he speaks again. I notice his voice is quiet and concerned, "My names Duff, I guess you're not from around here?"
What a unique name.

I look down at myself and feel even more self conscious, I also realise we are still holding hands and carefully pull mine back and fold them across my chest. He slips his into the front of his leather pants, I notice this guy is dressed as a rocker with his denim jacket and his blonde hair teased messily, he too wears faded cowboy boots.

"Indiana, my names Alexis, you can call me Alex." I smile up at him to receive a charming one back.
"Where are you staying Alex?"
I become wary of this practical stranger but feel inclined to trust him as he had just helped me through such an experience.
"I just got here, as you could probably tell, I didn't plan this far forward."

His handsome face softens as he looks down at me sympathetically, he looks thoughtful for a moment before taking my bag and slinging it over his shoulder and holding his large hand out to me.
"Come on Alex, you're coming home with me." I must've looked scared or something for him to continue, "Oh gosh, don't worry, I'm not a murderer or anything, but I'm not letting you stay out here on the streets at night in LA." Is everyone in this city as attractive and forward as this guy?!

I take his warm hand as he gently tugs me out of the alley and into the buzzing street, leading me along the pavement to an unknown destination.

Song: Welcome to the Jungle (rather fitting for this chapter)
Hope you enjoyed and I insist you leave a comment ;)