Highway to Hell

"Lexy wait up!" Duff yells from behind me, I turn back to see his tall stature jogging towards me, bag on his back, cymbals in his arms.
I stop and wait for him to catch up, the sun outlining his t-shirt and Jean clad body, his hair looking golden in this light.
I shouldn't be mad with the guys, they haven't abandoned me yet.

"Thanks for stopping um... I thought you'd be hungry." My stomach growls at the thought of food and my cheeks redden. He stands there a second catching his breath and wheezing a bit.
He pants whilst placing the golden symbols at his feet, taking the bag off his back and sitting in the floor, pulling my hand so I sit beside him.
Taking a pair of water bottles from the rucksack along with two wrapped sausage rolls from the shop earlier.
"Thanks Duff." I say gratefully, taking the water and food from his outstretched hand.

After eating hungrily we spot the others beginning to catch up in the distance, dusting my lap and standing up, I stick my hand out to Duff, to which he accepts and he gets to his feet, using the hand not still holding mine to sling the bag back on his shoulder and placing the cymbals under his sun kissed arm.
I put the half empty bottle of water in my bag for later, then doing the same as Duff and getting ready to get back on the road, feeling better after food and rest.
"Guys, wait for us!" Steven yells, now only about twenty metres away, walking briskly with Slash, both carrying parts of a drum kit in their arms. Axl and Izzy nowhere to be seen.

We stand there in comfortable silence, looking at the scenery around us, my guess is that we are about 400 miles from Seattle, we have to be there by tomorrow night, if we catch a lift we might just make it.

"So...you two dating or something?" Slash asks casually, glancing down at our entwined hands with a smirk.
"No!" I say quickly taking my hand from Duff's and shoving it into the front pocket of the leather pants I wear.
Duff looking slightly hurt by my reaction but quickly covers it by laughing and rolling his eyes at Slash.
Slash looks at us with suspicion. We've know each other a month, Duff doesn't even like me for Christ's sake!
Steven stares back to where we came from completely unaware of the awkwardness that just hit our group.

"Where's Ax and Izzy?" Duff asks with a red tinge to his cheeks. Was he embarrassed by Slash thinking we were dating? Ouch
They stopped to talk to someone I think."
Steven replies happily, nothing fazes this guy.
"Cool" Me and Duff reply in sync.
Just then a huge transport truck pulls up beside us, Axl and Izzy jumping out as it stops beside us, grins plastered across their faces.
"We've got a lift to Seattle guys! Chuck your stuff in the back and climb in!" Axl says grabbing the cymbals from Duff and heading towards the back of the truck. All of us following behind.

Thank God we are actually going to make it!
All of us squeeze into the small truck cab, the driver is an older man with a huge beer belly, and unruly facial hair, he looks and smells as if he hasn't washed in a while and is constantly sipping from a coffee mug, sleep deprivation is as clear as the grease stains in his tatty, once white shirt.

I'm sat the closest to the man on the trucks small bed, crammed in beside me is Slash, then Steven and Izzy. Axl and Duff both squished into the passenger seat as the driver begins to drive.
"What's a pretty girl like you doing with a bunch of guys like these honey?" He whispers, his coffee breath stench filled in the air, Slash and me being the only ones to hear, he tenses slightly beside me
"Two of them are related to me, the rest are my friends."
I state simply, not referring to Axl and Izzy as family makes their attention snap to me, both looking guilty again, all noise seizes in the packed full truck cab and everyone's focus on the driver and I's conversation.

"Well sugar, if you ever want more than a friend, you stay behind after I drop you're friends off. I can always use some company on the road." He winks a bloodshot eye, placing the hand from the gear stick onto my knee, rubbing it softly. My stomach turning at the thought of staying with this man, bile riding in my throat.
Axl, Izzy and Duff growl menacingly whilst Steven and Slash prepare to hold them back.
"That's very kind of you, but who else will look after these boys." I say sweetly, holding back my gags.
"That's a shame baby." He says disappointed, unaware of the five men staring daggers at him, and putting his oily hand back to the gear stick, much to my relief.

The man begins to speed up once we enter the highway again, I'm getting pretty scared, strange man, driving extremely fast, driving dangerously and he looks like he's high. Shit.
The guys look worried too but know that if we get out, we might not get another ride and we'll miss the show.

The driver uses the rear view mirror to keep sneaking glances at me whilst grinning with disgusting coffee stained teeth, I hug Slash's arm close to my body. It's going to be another looooong trip.