Carry On My Wayward Son

"You stupid little bitch, get the fuck out of here before I throw you out of that god damn door!" My step father roars as he stumbles back to his room. William is at choir and won't be home for a couple hours, unknowingly leaving me to be punished by our intoxicated guardian.
I sob into my eight year old hands before sprinting to the front door, silently leaving the house and running as fast as my young legs can carry me, coming to a halt at a familiar small house, seemingly abandoned, at the end of the street. His bedroom light still on and window ajar in invitation.

Climbing through it quietly and with practiced skill. I sit myself on Jeffrey's bed, some toys are scattered on the surrounding floor and a couple empty cartons of juice on the bedside table. I sniffle, wiping my damp eyes on my jumper sleeve as I wait for my best friend to come back to his room. Every time something like this happens, I go to Jeff's, his window always open for me or my brother.

The bedroom door creaks open and in walks young Izzy, his short black hair framing his slim face.
"Oh hey Little Redhead, what happened this time?" The ten year old boy coos softly, shutting the door securely before sitting beside me and wrapping an arm around my drooped shoulders.
"The usual." I whimper.
"Want me to cheer you up until Will gets here?"
"You can't Jeffy, I'm too sad." I sniffle quietly, the darkening sky outside reflecting the darkening on my positivity.
"You wanna sleep Terror?" He asks softly, resting his chin atop my fiery red locks.
"Yes please" I murmur into my friend's chest. His all too familiar scent over-taking me.

He hops off the bed, heading towards his draws where he gabs some shorts and jumper along with this own pyjamas.
"I'll get changed in the bathroom." He says with a small smile, leaving the bedroom.

When he returns we are both ready for bed.
Peeling back the covers, he gets himself comfortable and motions for me to climb in beside him, the dark haired ten year old wraps the covers over both of us protectively, pulling me into a cuddle and yawning.
That's all I hear before I'm sleeping soundly in Jeffrey's arms.