Chapter 10

Clary, New York 2013
Something seemed out of place as i walked in. I couldnt put my finger on it but something felt really unnerving, dark almost, i didnt like it. I was about to call Simon to tell him that we were here when there was a loud crash coming from one of the guest rooms followed by a scream. What the ... I run towards the room, i hear footsteps behind me and i know the others heard the scream too. I open the door in time to see something fly out the window and a girl laying on the floor, dying. I run over to her and grab her hand. She lifts her eyes up to look at me and gestures for me to lean closer, "What is it?" I ask, she answers with barely a whisper, "Clary," she looks right into my eyes, "Tessa," then she dies. What?! My name, Tessa's name? What was so important about me that her dying words was mine and Tessa's names? What is going on? I hear Jace shout out my name, "In here," I respond. I lay the girl down and stand up. Jace came through the door, "Another girl," I say before he can even ask. He takes my hand, "You okay?" "No," I hug him and he holds me tight. The others come in, "What happened?" Will asked, "Another girl," Jace answers. Jem leans down next to the girl, "She isn't as mangled as the others," "Probably because Clary disturbed it," Isabelle said matter of factly. Jem nodded and looked at me, "Did you see anything?" "Something flew out the window as i came in, but i didnt see what it was," Alec walked over to the window, which was shattered and there was glass all over the place. He ran his hand over the broken glass, "There's something on the window," "What is it?" Tessa asks - she's been awfully quiet this whole time - Alec looks at her, "Blood,"

Tessa, New York 2013

The next few hours were chaos, everyone was running around trying to figure out where the girl had come from, who she was, why was she here. Simon eventually turned up saying how there was going to be another attack which sent everyone into another frenzy. I just sat down and tuned out. Jem came over a couple of times to see if i was okay but apart from that i just ignored everyone.

Finally we left and got back to the institute, it felt like forever till we got back. I was about to follow the others in when i felt someone grab my arm. I turned around to see Clary gripping my arm, "I need to talk to you," she said, "What is it?" she looks around, "Not here, follow me," I trail after her. I wonder what could've gotten her so spooked. We walk around the corner of the institute, "What it is you wanted to tell me?" I ask her, she looks around, "You know the girl that we found today," "Yes," "Well before she died she said two things, names actually, my name and then your name," "What?!" I manage to choke out. She shakes her head, "I don't know, but what Simon said got me wondering ..." "If we're next," I finish off for her, "Exactly," Clary said, yet again looking around, "We should tell someone," "No!" Clary said, "We can't! This is our problem," I can't help but wonder if theres another reason Clary doesn't want anyone else to know about this.