Chapter 5

Chapter 5: Encounters 

The first week of school had been all about OWLs and what they were. My Mom says they are the 'fundamental base to your whole entire life, and is still upset because she got one E out of all herO's (which are the highest mark). My dad just said I should study a lot because they are bloody hard. Okay then.

Now the second week was about getting on to work. And getting loads of homework. And by loads, I mean heaps of homework.

"Its only Tuesday and I have at least 6 homeworks! And half are essays!" I moaned to Lorcan. He nodded his head. 

"So do I." 

We walked towards the Ancient Runes classroom, even though Lorcan had Transfiguration, which was in a room down the hallway. Albus and Bex had Trelanwey's garbage lesson, which I wanted to take since we had to do nothing in it, but ended up not taking it after professor Trelanwey 'tsc tsc''ed me and said I was identical to my mother: hopeless in the divination arts and trusted books too much (which is not true). 

I fiddled with my locket in between my fingers thoughtfully. I was still thinking about the letter. Mom and dad had sent me another one later, congratulating me for being a prefect and mom had explained the letter I received by accident with a 'You know your dad, always mixing things up.' 

Yeah. Sure. 

"Divination must be interesting.." mused Lorcan thoughfully. "But I don't think we need a Professor for it. Bye Rose!" He waved and scampered into the Transfiguration room.

I sighed and pushed open the door. The room was mostly empty, a few Gryffindors scattered around the room. Daniel Rahnson was sitting up front, determined to be a perfect student since he was now a Prefect.. He waved boredly at me from his seat and I sat behind him.  

To my surprise, Slytherins started coming in too. I raised my eyebrows, staring increaduously at the group of them. They all piled in. Thankfully, the seat beside me was empty. 

I took out my quill from my bag and felt someone sitting beside me. I winced and sat up, turning around to find Scorpius Malfoy, none the less, sitting beside me even though there was a seat right on the other side of the room empty.

"What are you doing here?" I demanded. He rose a pale eyebrow.

"Why? Is there a law stopping me from sitting here, Weasley?" he pushed his chair  to the far right, his leg pressed against the table. 

"Scared I am gonna pass you normal people germs?" I mocked waving my fingers in his face. He slappede my hand away from his face and rolled his eyes. "Rose, seriously, why do you -" 

"Malfoy?" Professor Babbling snapped her head swiftly turning to him. "Quiet please."

She flipped her wand and books fell into a pile in front of us. There was an Ancient Runes dictionary, 'The Spellmans Sylabarry' and 'A Magical Guide to Magic Hieroglyphs and Lolograms'. Oh great. Two more books to weigh down on my back. 

I watched as Professor Babbling gesticulated and her quill drew on a white board behind her. She pointed here and there and talked about how a lion can represent L or J depending on if its mane was wide or tall, creating a secret pathway which wizards can put a charm on so that the mentioned animal can show the wizard a secret message or something.

Her black bob bounced as she babbled along weaving between tables, saying 'Well done' or something like that. 

"Very good you two!" she noted happily. I raised an eyebrow unbelieving. Scorpius Malfoy did his work? Not possible. As long as I have 'known' this creature, he has never cared about work. Not that I know of. Unless that work is called walking around trying to make girls fall passionately in love with you unsuccessfully.  I tried peeking over his shoulder at his work but I couldn't see much at all. 

"Class dismissed. Finish the work for Thursday." Profesor Babling walked off leaving us to pack our stuff and leave.

Transfiguration next. With who else but Slytherins? Great. Four periods with Slytherins. Hooray.

"Wish me luck, more Slytherns for me.." I mumbled to myself. That sounds a bit like a poem, doesn't it? 

"Good Luck!" Scorpius sang, swooping past me to join his friends outside.

I scoffed and walked towards the Transfiguration class, two floors above us. I slipped behind an armour into a shortcut. I ran up the stairs, looking forward to talking to Bex during the lesson- McGonagall said it would be a revision lesson so there was nothing to loose.

Suddlenly a hand grabbed me from behind and pulled me down. I fell backwards, hitting my head against the wall. 

"Oops." I opened my eyes to find A pair if grey ones glinting maliciously. Malfoy and his friends, Gordon Trembley and Ferdinand Yaxley snorted with laughter, like the pigs, which they are. Malfoy simply rolled his eyes and turned to his friends, allowing me an easy escape from the demented 

I rubbed by head and stood up. "Blithering idiots." I continued up the stairs hotly, ignoring their snotty remarks. Now I was probably going to be late. See what I mean? It is impossible to understand boys. When we're younger they tease you because they like you (according to my mother, but I still believe that isn't right, only possibly in the muggle world..) but when you aren't 8 anymore, they tease you because it is 'fun'. REALLY? HUGO BETTER NOT THINK LIKE THIS.

I opened the door and muttered an apology to McGonagall, who looked disapprovingly at me, after all, a prefect shouldn't be late for class especially when its with the headmistress. 

Bex winked at me and I sat beside her and behind Albus quietly. Albus handed me a folded piece of paper from behind. I took it and opened it. Soon a message in green ink appeared, 'What happened?' 

I rubbed the spot where a lump had formed on my head. Funny how green ink appears for him all the time. Scrappy paper has it's weird ways. Even it's name is weird... sounds rather muggle-like. Well, I think I muggle-born did invent it.. I want to invent something one day. 

Some Slytherins held me up. Nothing much, really. I wrote down. Lies! Lieeees! But I'm not just about to make a fuss over nothing. Bex was reading descretly over my shoulder rolled her eyes. She hated Slytherins- they supposedly called her an idiot Gryffindork and teased her loads in our First year and she held a grudge ever since. She was kinda persistent in that way. Actually, she's always persistent. 

"Bloody idiots, I tell you!" Bex hissed in a whisper. 

Which ones? Malfoy? . Al wrote on the scrappy paper. Albus always supposed it was Scorpius. Many times he was right. But sometimes he said 'Scorpius isn't half-bad.' which was completely puzzling since I never see them talking, but anyways.

Yeah. I confessed, biting my nails as I stared at the board where McGonagall was writing down notes. Bex's dark eyes scanned the paper and she nudged me jutting her chin towards the other side of the class. I looked over and noticed Malfoy staring at us, then turning away as I met his eyes. What was he looking at?

A new message plopped up on my parchment. I knew it. Mhhhm. Sure, Albus.

Bex was lost in her own tangled thoughts, staring dreamily at the board where McGonagall was writing about how to transform a book into a pair of glasses and back. Why I would do such a change I don't know. I doodled a bit on the scrappy paper boredly.

Have you done the DADA homework?

Yeah.. Almost done. 

I bet you've finished it. 

What if I had? What's wrong with that? So what if I have?

:D I kneeeeew it. 

"Ms.Weasley?" I looked up. "What is the second stage of the transformation?" 

Bloody hell, how does this woman catch us every time we aren't paying attention?  I paused for a moment, composing my thoughts and answered:

"The book will be soft and shrinking...?" McGonagall turned around, and I smirked,satisfied. I got it right. 

"Cough Nerd Cough!"  Yaxley, Malfoy's friend, a thin boy with coarse black hair and sunken eyes 'coughed'. I raised an eyebrow at him. I bet he doesn't even know what 2+2 is, being the stupidity he is. I opened my book to the right page and leaned my head on my hand, determined to pay attention on the class.