Chapter 2

"Usagi-chan, you made it. It has been so long since I've last seen you." A deep, warm voice welcomed me.

A voice which I hadn't heard in over seven years, a voice that was able to break the walls of the cage which had once been my prison and sanctuary. A voice that after a while, had the power to make my heart race and clench in pain all at once. It was the voice of the one I had loved for the past seven years, Takahiro Takahashi. After his sudden disappearance in Senior High, I never saw nor heard from him again. It wasn't until a week ago that I received an invitation to his wedding. At first I was ready to refuse the invitation, however I realized that my stupid, foolish heart still played to the tune of his memory. I realized that after all this years, I still loved Takahiro as fiercely as I did seven years ago. Therefore, no matter how much it pained me to lose him without knowing the pleasure of having him, I came to his wedding.

"Takahiro, Congratulations! I was surprised and pleased to hear from you. I am glad you cherished me enough as a friend to invite me to your wedding." I greeted.

"How could I not have invited you? You were my best friend in Senior High-"

"Nii-chan, the wedding is about to start." Takahiro was interrupted by a young boy.

The boy was petite in size, and he had a slender frame similar to that of a girl's. He had wild brown hair, and his eyes were the color of glimmering emeralds. For a fraction of a second I was sucked into the glittering orbs that were that boy's eyes. In that instant only the two of us existed, but all too soon the spell was broken and I was back to reality. The boy didn't seem to have felt anything, for he was now looking inquiringly at Takahiro.

"Usagi-chan, this is my brother; Misaki Takahashi. Misaki this is my friend from Senior High; Akihiko Usami." Takahiro introduced.

"Nice to meet you Misaki." I greeted him.

"Yeah, same." Misaki replied before turning back to his brother.

"Nii-chan, we have to hurry. Manami is almost here. Come on let's go." With that he started to drag Takahiro away.

"Talk to you later Usagi-chan." Takahiro said before he followed Misaki.

I was left standing there like a fool who was idiotic enough to let the one love of his life go. I contemplated, for a millisecond, on going after Takahiro and confessing my undying love for him. Then I thought of how happy he looked and I knew that I would have to carry my love for him to the grave. And even then I would never be able to tell him how I truly felt about him, because to me his happiness was the most important thing in the universe. I could endure the pain of my broken heart if it meant being gifted with the sight of a blissful Takahiro.

The wedding ceremony was my nightmare come true, after all it signified the end of what could have been. I sat there in a sea of strangers and watched the only person who I had ever loved being united with the one he loved, and it deeply saddened me to see that I was not the one up there with him. Before they could finish the exchange of vows I got up and went outside. I could not stay inside and pretend to be happy when all I wanted to do was cry till the pain I felt disappeared. For no matter how strong I tried to be, I was not strong enough to contain the flood of immense heartache that came spilling out of me in the form of tears.

In the distance I could hear the screams of thunder, and I could see the darkening clouds closing in. It was as if the sky was a reflection of my emotions. However, I knew that today was not going to rain because the storm was waging inside of me and my tears were the rain.

"Would you have chosen me if I were a girl, Takahiro?" I whispered.

" I highly doubt nii-chan would look at any other girl that isn't Manami." A voice behind me said.

Shocked I turned around to see Misaki, Takahiro's younger brother, staring at me. In a haste I wiped away my tears in an attempt to hide them from him. I knew I failed when Misaki handed me his handkerchief. I took it and wiped my eyes, and eliminated any trace of my tears.

"You can keep the handkerchief, however, let me tell you something right now. You need to give up on my brother, he will never look at you as anything other than a friend. Move on and leave my brother out of you perverted fantasies, because that's all they'll ever be; fantasies." With that Misaki went back inside.

Once more I was left foolishly standing outside, however, this time I was truly alone in my grievance.

***End of Chapter***

If you enjoyed this chapter please comment, vote, share, and follow.
Next update: Friday, November 4, 2016.