Ford x Reader (2)

SLEEP

You had been convincing yourself to get some sleep for at least two hours now. It was difficult; the blankets were oppressively hot but you didn't want to leave the sense of security they gave you. You couldn't find a good position to lay in, and Ford had still not come to bed. He said he would be 'in five minutes', which quickly turned to hours. You knew he was busy with his research, and your questioning was soon silenced by that last word. The obligation to sleep pulled you back down to the mattress and you shut your eyes.

Finally, you heard the noise of footsteps walking against the tired wood. You knew Ford was behind you; you pretended to be asleep, suppressing a grin. He crashed on the empty spot next to you. From the way he pulls you closer to his person you can tell he's sleepy. It isn't uncommon for him to become clingy and less self-aware in this state. He cocoons himself around you,  the stubble of his face scratching the back of your neck. He gives a familiar contented sigh. You know he knows you're awake.

"I'm selfish," he mutters next to your ear. "So very selfish. I don't want you to ever leave." He kisses your ear, sending a blush to your cheeks. He gives a low chuckle. "I know you're awake."

You can't help but letting out a tiny chuckle as he speaks with a smoothness that you melted over him for. "Yes," you state. "I'm awake."

"I knew it," he says lowly, burying his face in your hair. His arms wrap tighter around your figure, a sign that he has reached his peak sleep tolerance.

"Go to sleep," you command sleepily, feeling yourself become lethargic. "You deserve it."

He hums contendedly, kissing your cheek. An innocent act, brought on by sleepiness. You know he's tired, and you repeat your order again. He doesn't respond with anything, simply rests his head on your shoulder. You lean your head against his as you feel yourself falling asleep slowly.

"I love you," he mutters, his lips against your shoulder. This stirs you slightly.

"I know," you respond. You know he understands the reference. He laughs softly before slipping into silence along with you.