Sans x Reader

Your lovesick reflection stared back at you as you practiced what you were going to ask Sans.

"Sans, we've been friends for a while, and I was wondering, do you want to maybe- no! That doesn't sound right!"

A blush ran furious across your cheeks and down your neck. Sans had you acting like this all week; you grew fidgety and nervous in his presence, you thought about him constantly, and talking to him became a feat beyond comprehension. In short, you had a crush. A very large crush. You knew that there was exactly one way to make its effects go away- and that was to tell him. But you couldn't flounder in front of Sans. You had to be absolutely ready for whatever reaction Sans might have. He could reject you. He could accept it and you'd start dating. He could accept it but break up with you months later. You groaned and fell back onto your bed. 

"I can't do this." 

"Do what?" 

Panicked, you turned your head to find Sans standing in the threshold of the door. 

"Sans! What are you doing here?" 

"We've got to get to Grillby's." 

Then you were reminded. You agreed to attend Sans' birthday celebration about two days earlier. This crush was making you forget things. 

"I-I guess I'll take you, then." 

The path from your home to the restaurant was short, so the two of you wasted no time to get there. Inside, you were surprised to see that no one else had come in observance of his birthday. You seated yourselves. 

"I thought more people were gonna be here." 

He shot you his signature grin. "Nah. I wanted kind of a simple birthday this year. I knew Pap and the others would make a pretty big deal out of it." 

"So, just the two of us?" 

"Just the two of us." 

You swallowed nervously. Sans had been staring at you intently, with an emotion you'd never seen before. In contrast, you were trying to hide the intensity of the butterflies in your stomach and the blush probably making you look sunburnt right about now. You kicked your feet underneath the table, hoping that maybe some side effect of the crush would wear off so that you could just act normal. 

Grillby broke the tension a little when he asked what you were going to eat. Gosh, you hadn't even looked at the menu once. Out of haste, you ordered a small slice of cake, because it seemed appropriate given the theme of Sans' birthday. 

Becoming hyper aware of Sans' behavior, you noticed that he hadn't told a single pun since you'd been here. He seemed preoccupied. You narrowed your eyes at him. 

"What's wrong?" 

"What do you mean?" 

"Something's wrong here. You haven't told a single pun since we've been here." 

He lifted what were once eyebrows. "Oh yeah, heh. Guess I did." 

Guess I did? Now he's just playing dumb. You tried to be patient with him and suddenly became extremely anxious for that cake to arrive. You were more than grateful when it came. Sans was brought a drink, which he informed you that this was indeed not just any old drink, but rather coffee. Specifically a latte. You nodded at his out of context explanation and tried to eat your cake in silence. This had been an extremely awkward encounter. While this may have been the perfect chance to tell Sans about your feelings, he just seemed too out of character today to do so. You needed the Sans you fell for, if he was home. 

Things became to take a turn when Sans passed you the latte. Confused, you looked up at him. 

"Did you know that I like you a latte?" 

A smile immediately split across your face. The butterflies inside of you exploded, creating even more butterflies to tickle your insides. You laughed loud. Louder than you should have inside a restaurant. 

"Aw, come on, don't give me the cold shoulder! It's quite frosting!" 

You began to laugh so hard that tears appeared in your eyes. "Sans, stop," my sides hurt. "I like you too." 

Sans' eyes were smiling now. You stood up from your booth in order to sit next to him. Your faces were inches apart and his eyes grew suddenly serious. Curiously, you placed your palm against his cheekbone, running your thumb up and down the surprisingly cold feeling of bone. You smiled, looking into Sans' eyes before finally crossing the distance to place a kiss on his eternal, bony smile. Sans liked you! He liked you back and you didn't even have to tell him! 

You kissed in that booth until the building itself closed. Sans walked with you to spend the night at your house. 

"You know what's interesting," Sans said when you were at the threshold of your door. 

"What's that?" 

"It's not even my birthday."