Stan x ADHD!Reader

Requested by KittyKatBella

This isn't very romantic; I figured that I shouldn't have too much so that the focus of the story wouldn't be taken away. 

"I'm not paying you by the distraction! Come on, get it done!"

Stan's words played over and over in your mind. You were forcing yourself to focus as hard as you could. The task was simple. Take the money from the cash register, divvy it up according to bill size, put it back in the register. However, something seemed to hold you back each time. First, it was the singing salmon on the wall. Try as you may, you could not resist playing the salmon's song over and over. You were lucky, but Stan did not see you that time. It was Wendy that caught you and took the salmon down because if you did not complete the task, she would have to take over. The second time was the twins watching Ducktective in the TV room. No, you couldn't see it from your position, but you could hear it. Once you started commentating loudly along with the twins, they turned off the TV- if you or Wendy didn't complete the task of divvying up the money, they were next in line. The third time was just your own mind. Something was preventing you from counting this money. That was when Stan walked in and yelled at you. 

"Sorry Stan," you replied meekly. 

"We're about to close up. If you don't have it done by then, I'm passing it over to Wendy." His tone wasn't angry, just tired. 

You sighed and stared back at the askew piles of money. It wasn't worth it, but you promised Wendy you wouldn't force her to do this. However, you still could not focus. The thought made you want to cry, but you didn't. It would just be another distraction that would make Stan come back and put on what you liked to call his scary voice.

"Kid, if you can't get it done, I'll just pass it on to Wendy." 

You nodded, but only to acknowledge his words. Stan's charity was absolutely not necessary to keep continuing. He was hand feeding it to you, but your mouth was zipped tight. 

"I'm going to get this done," you lied to yourself. "I am going to focus."

"Hey, I don't mean to be, uh, insensitive, but, uh...did you take your medicine today?"

You sighed. "No. No I didn't." 

"I see. Well, you're not sitting here, wasting time. Go. Go on. Go home. I'll get the kids to do it." 

"But Mr. Pines-"

"No butts but yours out the door! Go. Scram. Vamoose."

You stood at the exit, still staring at him. His charity would probably come out of your paycheck. Stan glanced back up at you with the money in his hands. 

"Do you need me to take you home," he asked, shuffling the money like a deck of cards. 

"No, just, uh, I want to know if this is gonna come out of my paycheck." 

"Only if you don't want it to." 

Stan stood up, and crossed the room so that he was standing a mere foot away from you. He looked at you with sympathy- no, empathy! 

"Stan, what are you doing?" 

"Listen, I have ADHD just like you. Now I'm not gonna coddle you or anything and tell you that you can handle it, because you might not be able to. I like you too much to lie to you like that. The distractions are gonna keep on coming, so I have to ask you, please take your meds." 

You nodded. Forgetting to take your medicine was commonplace with you; in fact, you had a coin jar at home that was overflowing with evidence of the times you'd forgotten to take your medicine, like a swear jar. You managed to mumble out a gruff 'sorry' before leaving the shop, but Stan caught you for a brief second and kissed your forehead. 

"Now go home and take your medicine."

You nodded, though not entirely focused on the statement. As you walked home, the imprint of Stan's lips on your forehead stayed with you all that night, and even the following morning- when you remembered to take your medicine.