Mulder x Reader

MEETING

"Fox Mulder?" His name left you tremulously as you opened the ajar door to his office all the way. You really weren't sure what was beyond this door. The man was a legend at the academy, albeit a legendary laughing stock. A man believing in a shadow government after his sister disappeared. Ridiculous, right?

Maybe not so much.

"You've reached the office of the FBI's most unwanted," he said, lackadaisical.

He turned around in his chair to face you. Feet up on the desk, he asked that you state your business.  He gave you the impression that you weren't welcome in this office, as if it belonged to someone that wasn't you. Perhaps he was disappointed that it was you and not Scully.

"I come on behalf of the head director of the FBI, who have requested that your office go through a routine checkup," you lied. You weren't here on anyone's behalf except your own. You wanted to meet him- Fox William Mulder.

Mulder nodded once, and you could read doubt in his face. The room fell silent afterwards, probably because Mulder could see right through it. It was almost as if Mulder expected you to say something else, something to make you seem more credible. But you left the cake in the oven for too long. It was nothing more than a burning mess at this point.

"Okay, let's begin, shall we?" Mulder didn't say anything to your attempt to be light-hearted.

Slowly you made your way toward his desk, afraid to step behind it. You saw his poster, the famous poster the people at the academy spoke of. Why would Mulder want to believe?

You looked up at the ceiling; pencils. Lots of pencils.

"Do you, uh, like to make habit of throwing your pencils into the ceiling?"

"It passes the time," he replied. "Does the Bureau have a problem with it?"

God, he was hot. "No," you replied. "None at all."

You pulled open one of the drawers to find a key chain. It was from the Apollo 11 mission, clearly written around the edges.

"This?" You questioned, holding it up for him to see.

"Souvenir from a friend." His replies were so easy, like he had read them off a script.

You continued your poking around his office, and it quickly dawned on you that Mulder had been watching  as if he were amused. It quickly became embarrassing.

A few more glances around the office, and you were out of there. Mulder waved you off as if you were a child.

Suddenly it seemed you didn't like Fox Mulder quite as much anymore.