Ford x Reader (6)

inspired by this song ^; it's young ford this time and v ooc

Ford may have been considered a genius, but there was one thing in particular that puzzled him to no end, and that was your presence in his life. As a young man, he supposed that the natural order called for him to date or have romantic relations at some point in his life. Though Stanley was his only source of information, dating was supposed to be two people spending time with each other with exclusively because of their mutual attraction. Ford assumed that those two people would be similar in some respect. 

However, you existed in his life. Beautiful, self-destructive, highly emotional you. 

You were the emotional rollercoaster that Stanley had warned him about. 'Women are a mess,' he warned Ford one day, after Stanley got back from his first failed date with Carla McCorkle. 'They're emotional rollercoasters that you want to get off as soon as you realize how fast you're going.' Ford kept those words in mind when he met you sitting under the bleachers at that pep rally. You were nursing a beer, stolen from the teacher's lounge. Half-intoxicated, you introduced yourself to him and told him that his hair was nice to look at. He thanked you, sheepishly. You two sat down and talked for hours, as you slowly became more and more drunk. The pep rally was long over when you parted ways. You walked home with him and kissed him on the mouth, leaning heavily into him. 

When you and Ford saw each other the following Monday, you apologized profusely for your behavior. Your drunk self was something that you tried to keep hidden, but Ford appreciated that you showed that persona to him. From that day forward was the start of an emotionally draining relationship that neither of you quite knew how to steer. Your alcoholism and insecurities, coupled with his constant studies and social awkwardness, bred a relationship that was laughable and somehow inspiring to the other relationships taking place among the youths of Glass Shard Beach. In other words, you two proved that opposites could attract and work quite well as a relationship. 

Today, you and Ford found yourselves on the precipice of a breakup. The threat of breaking up wasn't new to you; the two of you stood on this same precipice many times and often ended up retreating back into the shelter of an unhealthy relationship rather than jump into the abyss that was freedom. Ford was livid, angry with his brother for sabotaging the science fair project. You were inebriated once again, but answered his call immediately when he told you to meet him at the swings. 

"Why would Stanley just destroy my science project like that, huh?!" 

"I don't know, but I think you might be overreacting." 

"Overreacting? Overreacting?! My life's work has just been destroyed in front of me and you say that I'm overreacting." 

"Hey, I'm just saying, maybe it was an accident," you said drowsily, leaning on the string that held your swing up. 

"Well, your judgement is clearly impaired. You're drunk, aren't you?" 

"Maybe," you said, snarky. "But I'm listening to you and comprehending what you're saying. I think you need to go back and tell Stanley how you're feeling." 

Ford scoffed. "Oh, we're way past that!" 

"Then why are we out here?" 

"Because you're my girlfriend," he cried, frustrated. "I trust your judgement and I-" 

"No," you said, standing up. "You don't trust my judgement because you just said it was impaired." 

Ford seemed shocked, even mortified. "Of course, I trust your judgement." 

"No, 'cause I'm just a drunk, right?" 

"Hey, I never meant to-" 

He was interrupted when you hiccuped, loudly. 

"I never meant to call you a drunk. You know how I feel about you." 

"I better not be just a charity case, Ford. I don't need your sympathy. Got enough of that from my so-called friends." 

"Of course not. You know I love you the way you are." 

"Good. You better call me when you're at that fancy college, living it up and making it rain. Then you better come back, marry my ass and take us both somewhere great." 

"That's the plan," he said, laughing. 

Ford went off to college, and never called you. He hadn't forgotten your number or didn't love you enough to not call or visit; he simply thought you deserved better. Ford finally jumped into the abyss of freedom rather than the safe shelter of an unhealthy relationship. 

Yet, every time he kissed Fiddleford at college and in Gravity Falls, he thought about you. Beautiful, self-destructive, highly emotional you.