Castiel x Reader

You and Castiel had broken up four months ago. The chemistry just wasn't right. He was too blunt, too straightforward. You didn't communicate enough. At the same time, there was a matter of distance. Hunting with Sam and Dean required travelling long distances with not a lot of contact. The relationship ended on good terms; Cas wasn't exactly heartbroken by the affair, because he had found somebody else quickly. That was what he had told you three months ago, calling from a payphone, while travelling with Sam and Dean. You were just happy to see that Cas didn't take the breakup hard. 

But little did you know that you'd been replaced by Dean. 

Sam and Dean had called you weeks ago, asking you to meet them. The invitation was vague, which probably meant they were doing it for the sake of a hunt. With all the monster information available at your disposal, it was nice for the boys to contact you once in a while. You met them in a diner they normally haunted when returning to Kansas. Sam sat next to you while Dean and Cas sat across from you. You could tell right away that they were holding hands under the table, since it was only their opposite hands that were free. 

"So we've been seeing a lot of weird crop circles around this area...," Sam trailed off during his explanation upon noticing that you hadn't been paying any attention. Instead, you were staring at Dean and Cas, who were paying attention to no one except the other. You were happy for Cas, or so you thought. 

"What are you looking at," Sam queried, quite loudly. Dean and Cas didn't seem to notice. 

"Come on, let's talk privately." 

You and Sam left the booth unnoticed, and you barely noticed that you were standing out a greasy spoon, pouring your heart out to Sam Winchester over the ex-boyfriend you thought you were happy for. Sam sat down next to you. 

"Cas and Dean have been dating for a while now. Didn't he tell you last time he called?" 

"No, he just said that he found somebody else! I was happy for Cas, but I didn't know that 'somebody else' was Dean. It feels so weird, Sam." 

"I get it, I really do. But you and Cas made that decision four months ago to end it on good terms. Honestly, I've never seen a breakup go so well." 

"I know! Then why am I jealous, Sam?" 

"It might have to do with the fact that you're not over Cas." 

Honestly, the suggestion wasn't all that surprising. It didn't take Sam Winchester to realize something you should've seen before. Yet the thought made you cry. Sam immediately took action and wrapped an arm around you. It wasn't comforting. Castiel was really gone from your life. 

"It's okay," Sam said tenderly. "You'll get over it."

But you wouldn't. You would never be over it. Neither you nor Sam said a word. All you could do was relive the scene in which Cas broke up with you, but there wasn't much to relive. You both agreed to break it off, like signing divorce papers. Cas agreed to stay friends and be in touch. The joy you felt at hearing about Cas' new relationship was now twisting a knife into your back. 

"I need to go back in there. Figure out what you need for the hunt." 

"Oh no," Sam disagreed. "You're not going back in there. We'll just go to Bobby for this particular hunt. Go and take some time off." 

"But-"

"No buts. Go back home, and we'll take care of this one. I'll call you later once we're done."

You had no choice but to heed Sam's words, otherwise this day would somehow end in a worse way. Tonight, you would find a hole in the wall and drink to your broken heart. As you walked off, though it was cliche and you didn't particularly want to, you looked back at the diner. Cas and Dean were now walking out, only to climb into the Impala and drive off with Sam, and far away from you.