Stan x Older!Reader (2)

Requested by KittyKatBella

Dipper and Mabel appreciated the change of pace in the Mystery Shack tonight- rather than a boring evening sweeping up the shack, closing and then going to bed, they got to go to a party. No, this party was a little different from the previous one held at the Shack. Even though he kept it on a low profile, Stan was using this party as means of celebrating his and his brother's birthday. It marked the first time they had celebrated their birthday in the same dimension in 30 years! Ford appreciated the gesture, though neither of the Pines men chose to make fanfare out of their birthdays. 

Yet, this party had another purpose for Mabel. For the first time in over 10 years, her Grunkle Stan was finally seeing somebody. There were not many bachelorettes in town- Stan was beginning to wonder if he was just grasping at straws, rather than finding something romantically solid in this town. However, he still invited her to the birthday party in disguise. Dipper and Mabel concocted a plan involving Soos, spotlights, and a vinyl record that Ford happened to have. 

"Are they getting closer together? I can't tell." 

"Mabel, you're holding your binoculars the wrong way." 

"Oh," she said, flipping the binoculars to face the right way. "They're getting closer together!" 

"Mabel, maybe you just need glasses, dude, because they're on opposite ends of the room," Soos said, snatching the binoculars from her hands so he could have a look. "Yeah, you see Stan way over there, and they're waaay over on the other side? They're not closer together at all." 

"Well, they should be." Mabel declared. "Do you have the vinyl record ready?" 

Ford nodded. "I haven't seen this in quite some time. I think Fiddleford must've had it...because I didn't really, uh...have time for these kinds of things. Good to see it be put to good use again." 

Dipper took the record from Ford and placed it in the player. Soos, in his best DJ voice, interrupted the current song in substitute of Ford's record. 

"Alright, ladies and dudes, it is tie for the honorary dance of the hour! Put together by me and these dudes," he said, gesturing to the twins and Ford, "We hope we can bring together Stan and the lovely bachelorette he managed to drag to this party tonight!" 

"We welcome you to the family," Mabel shouted from over the balcony. 

The song came on, and a look of familiarity came over Stan. He remembered where he was the first time he heard this song. Wintertime, 1985. He was on his third week toiling away in his basement, tryin gto retriieve his brother from another dimension. At this point, the silence became overbearing for Stan and he couldn't bear to be left alone with his thoughts, so he put on some records, left over by Fiddleford. It didn't give him hope to continue- hte hope he had in getting his brother back was as limitless as the sky itself-, but it made the lonely road he was going down more memorable. The intro to the song was calm yet fast-paced, a change for the high strung, stressed young adult. He'd dreamed of a place like this when he was living in his car. 

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair; Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air

Stan had repeated the first line absentmindedly. It was just like old times. 

Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night

His mind began to wander along with his feet. 

There she stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"