Peridot x Reader

As someone not that well versed in Steven Universe, I think I wrote Peridot okay.

At first, you were just a clod.

It was back when she was small, angry and not a real gem, when she had first arrived. You didn't really know what exactly it was that you had done wrong, but you remember the encounter vividly. While at work, you were taking out the trash when all of a sudden, you found her among the various piles of bags. She stared daggers at you with ravenous eyes and spat out a simple word you'd never heard before. For the rest of that day, you were asking yourself what a 'clod' was. 

Then, you were slightly less than a threat. 

The gems didn't really get out much into town, so you only assumed that the only reason you were going to their house was because of Steven. Whenever he ordered pizza, he would usually answer the door when you knocked and pay you with the usual spring in his step. However, this time you encountered the same gem you'd found in the trash about a month ago. She was significantly less dirty than before, and kind of cute in a novel way. 

"Who are you," she ordered with a frostiness that matched her eyes. 

"Just doing my job," you informed her, hoping to not get into an altercation. 

She eyed you suspiciously before snatching the box from your hands and prying open the box. It seemed that she was beginning to calm down before Steven interrupted you. 

"Hey, Peridot, who are you talking to?"

"What is this," she demanded, showing the pizza in the box to him.

"It's my pizza. Thanks, delivery lady!" He smiled and paid you with his usual enthusiasm. 

"So Peridot is her name," you mused and made your way back to work. 

Soon, you were just plain interesting. 

Another month had passed since your encounter with the tiny green gem, Peridot. You'd been wildly curious about her and had been hoping to see her again. You waited for a month, hoping that when Steven ordered his biweekly pizza, you'd see her at the door again and get to know her better. It wasn't just confined to work, either. The color green would startle you and make you wonder; was it her? It never was, but that didn't deter your spirits or vigilance. 

One late evening at work, though, you were starting to get worried. Steven had ordered his first pizza on Monday, and he had not called again. It was Friday afternoon, which usually meant that by then, Steven had already consumed the two pizzas you delivered. Not that you expected a 14 year old boy to be punctual, but still. One pizza a week wasn't normal for him. Surely he would order pizza for the meteor shower tonight.

When the phone rang after a long time, you heard Peridot at the other end.

"Um, hi," she said quickly. "So, I was just wondering if..." She trailed off after that. As you waited in anticipation, you heard another voice in the background. 

"Come on, just do it, Peri!" 

"Ugh," she groaned. It sounded as if she was trying to get something off her chest. "Just- just come by the house in 30 minutes."

She hung up the phone promptly. Even though you weren't supposed to, you clocked out of work 30 minutes early just so you wouldn't risk being late at her house. Her urgent phone call turned out to be an invitation to sit and watch the meteor shower. You didn't talk; the astronomical phenomenon diverted you from doing so. However, you had noticed that your hand was holding hers by the time it was over.

Now, she had broken out the "l" word.

You weren't exceedingly far into your date when you two started arguing. The subject matter was probably over a misunderstanding; you learned quite quickly that Peridot was prone to arguments. She usually started them just as quickly as she had ended them. Most of the time her arguments were one-sided, and you were left to watch it unfold. Tonight was no different.

"I'd like for us to sleep in the same bed tonight." It was a reasonable proposal, made partially because you were too lazy to return home and partially because you missed Peridot once she was gone.

"Yes! I mean, no! I mean, ugh!"

"It's okay if you need more time to think about it-"

"No! I'm going to give you an answer, but- argh!"

It was useless to argue now. She was going to debate with herself for another ten minutes before giving you an answer.

"This is moving too fast," she muttered to herself. "Way, way too fast."

You shook your head.

"But we- I love her."

You gasped loudly. "What did you just say?"

"I love her?"

"Yes! Yes! Thank goodness, yes!"

"What's the big deal?"

"I love you too, Peri!"

She smiled, albiet awkwardly. Perhaps it was more accurate to say that she bared her teeth at you. Peridot stretched out her arms, waiting for a hug. You hugged her, knocking her straight onto the couch before kissing her.

"So, argument won?"

She nodded with a great big blush across her face.

"Perfect. Let's go to bed."