Radio x Reader

BaileysWorld

That lonely house had been mysteriously abandoned for five and a half years. The local neighbors, possibly bored out of their minds, had conjured up ghost stories and fantastic tales about the appliances inside the house being sentient. While you scoffed off these stories your aunt had a propensity for telling, there was no denying that the house was strangely active for being abandoned for five and a half years. At night, a glowing light would flash out of the windows, a vacuum cleaner could be heard roaring, and the most common noise, a radio. Given your aunt’s close proximity to the house, it was easy to witness the racket that went on inside that house, day and night.

“I know you hate this dreadful old house,” she said to you one day at breakfast. Her profound statement carried a dark sentiment that you knew to be true- this house was dreadful. “Why don’t you move out?”

“You’re sick. I can’t just leave you.”

“I managed all these years, alone in the middle of seemingly nowhere without a husband. I can stand it if you leave.”

“What if-”

“Life’s too short for what ifs,” she retorted, and banged a fist on the table in a bold declaration. “Why don’t you move out?”

“I gave up my roommates and quit my job to stay with you. Where would I live?”

“There’s plenty of room across the street,” she said, pointing her fork in the direction of the house with the possibly living appliances. “The landlord already put the place up for sale since the owner just left.”

You actually did consider the notion for a moment. How interesting would it be to live among those appliances that the locals believed to be alive? Oh, what a crazy thought! They’re inanimate objects, and you knew that just as well as the owner who abandoned them.

“Your silence shows more than tells, dear,” your aunt commented, and shoved a substantial proportion of scrambled eggs into her mouth. “Why don’t you go check out the house?”

“I can’t-”

“Hush! Now go take a shower and take a look at that house.”

You showered and got dressed. Once you were done, your aunt practically shoved you out of the house, leaving you no choice but to examine the house. Admittedly, the house was a disquieting sight. Apparently, the man who lived in the house last was just like any other person; yet he was compelled to leave without a word to anyone. You liked to think that perhaps it was circumstances. Maybe his wife died and he became depressed. Maybe he was murdered and no one bothered to report him missing. Maybe he was transported to another dimension via a portal in the wall and he’s been stuck there ever since. These speculations did nothing more than amuse you and somehow ease your anxiety.

For some reason, you knocked on the door. Of course, nobody was there, but the stories of the living appliances still compelled you to extend the courtesy of knocking before entering to them. The dead silence of the outside world made the noises you'd been hearing this whole time unmistakable- a vacuum cleaner whirred somewhere inside the house and a radio began talking as if it were alive.

“Who could be knocking on the door at this hour,” it questioned with a strangely static like voice.  

“I don't know,” something else replied. Then a light flashed for a brief second in the window.

“Why don't we open the door? Maybe it's the master,” a soft voice hoped. You couldn't even tell if that was a human, though probably not. What appliance had such a soft voice.

Along came the clanking of metal against the ground, followed by a bubbly voice. “It's the master! It's the master! Come on, let's open the door!”

“Oh, alright,” said the static voice.

The door finally opened, and several appliances came to greet you. Suddenly, your aunt's stories began to make much more sense.

“You're not the master,” the vacuum cleaner said.

“Maybe she's a friend of the master’s! Come on in, friend,” the toaster said warmly.

You stepped inside, somewhat unsettled by the idea of talking appliances. However, they seemed friendly enough.

“Who are you,” the lamp questioned, and shined his light in your face.

“Don't blind her,” the soft voice implored, and you discovered that it was an electric blanket talking. The blanket took a brave jump and landed on top of the lamp, obscuring his light in your face.

“I'm sorry about my friends,” the vacuum said. “They're kind of idiots.”

“Am not,” the lamp shouted.

“Are too!”

The toaster jumped over to the radio, who sat in silence, seemingly staring at you. You couldn't say you weren't comfortable with the attention.

“Radio, you've been kind of quiet.”

“She’s a sight for sore eyes,” Radio swooned, albeit quietly. Silence grew between the appliances for a moment before he finally perked up.

“Say, Toaster, why don't you get our friend all nice and cozy?”

“Good idea, Radio!” He promptly left Radio’s company.

Radio continued to sit in a kind of awe. He stared blankly at you.

“Do you know the master,” asked the electric blanket, who introduced himself as Blanky.

“The master?” You thought that they must've been referring to the former owner.

“Yeah, Rob,” the lamp, who was now known to you as Lamp, replied gravely.

“I'm sorry,” you said, shaking your head, “I don't know him because I'm new to the area.”

“Oh, where are you from,” the vacuum, who said his name was Kirby, asked abruptly.

“Uh, the big city.”

“We tried to get there,” Toaster said.

“Yeah, and failed miserably,” Lampy interjected.

“We did the best we could,” Blanky explained to you, optimistically.

You chuckled at their overlapping testimonies of their history with each other. However, Radio still stared at you. The gesture wasn't endearing anymore; it was beginning to get creepy. You had a strange feeling that Radio had malice toward your presence. After all, it was you who intruded in their house. You tuned out the argument.

“Hey, what's she staring at,” Blanky inquired.