Ford x Reader (3)

UNCERTAINTY

Requested by Fordsypines29, and this is also an idea I've always wanted to use.

"Great uncle Ford, why on Earth are you getting married?!"

"Love, I suppose. It's not entirely a mystery lost on me, Dipper."

Dipper glared up at Ford, frustrated beyond the realm of belief. He absolutely hated the idea of his great uncle getting married. When expressing this to Ford, Ford had only waved him off with a "leave the talking to the grown ups" attitude. It only spurred Dipper on further. He didn't want his great uncle to be taken away from him. Ever since you had walked into their lives and won over Ford, Dipper's world had been significantly different. While still buried neck deep in research and paranoia, Ford spent the majority of his free time with you- and not nearly enough with Dipper. What felt like some sort of protection from the beast that was your marriage to Dipper felt like fear to Ford.

"T-the realm of possibility?! Ford, do you really expect me to believe that-"

Ford held up a hand. "Dipper. I'm not going to deal with this anymore. I'm going to marry the love of my life tomorrow evening! Can you at least pretend to be happy for me?"

Dipper sighed, and it was an uncertain sign that he had conceded his argument. In all fairness, it was just a teenage boy expressing concern. He muttered something about going to bed and stormed up the stairs. Ford could hear the attic door slam shut.

Sighing, he walked down the hallway to his own bedroom to find you, his fiancé, laying wide awake in the dark, staring blankly at the ceiling. He crossed the room, kicking off his shoes before climbing into bed next to you. He sighed loudly.

"What is it?" That exasperated sigh was often a sign that Ford wanted some attention.

"Dipper," he stated plainly, turning to face you, "Dipper doesn't want us to marry tomorrow."

The idea of it wasn't impossible. In your courtship with Ford, Dipper was almost hostile toward you. You knew he didn't like you, but not so much as to prevent the marriage. Ford knew it too, and it scared him. His great nephew had much more power over him than he would have liked to admit, but that power conflicted with the domain you held over him. He had free will, of course, but you influenced him pretty heavily.

"Dipper never wanted us to marry," he added after a few moments of silence.

"I know," you responded tiredly, turning to face him. Your tone clearly took one of exhaustion due to how often the subject was brought up. You didn't want all that lingering doubt that someone in Ford's family doesn't welcome you.

But you couldn't control Ford's family.

"Ford," you asked, your tone taking a sudden turn, making eye contact with him. "Do you want to call it off?"

He stiffened for a moment, as if in shock. Ford was at a loss- bringing that sobering thought to mind. But he couldn't call you crazy. He had considered it himself; right after the proposal. Your soon to be husband was an older man; marked for death at 92 years old. The symptoms of aging were beginning to have an effect on him both physically and mentally. It brought hardships to you and Ford, but the proposal was a sign that maybe, just maybe, it would all end okay. But Dipper's vehement disagreement proved otherwise. Ford sighed.

"No." It came out quietly, like Ford hadn't completely formed his full answer yet.

"Hm?" You wanted him to clarify himself, say it again.

"No," he cleared his throat. "I don't want to call it off."

"Ford, you know what you would be doing for your great-"

You were cut off by his pressing a finger to your lips. "I've been thinking. I'm getting older, and this," he gestures between you, "is probably one of the better things I have dedicated my time to. Sure, we've had our ups and downs, but not unlike most couples."

Here he pauses to observe the wide grin that has stretched across your face. You're quite pleased
with this monologue.

"And," he continues, "I'll never see an opportunity to get married, especially not to someone like you."

You involuntarily let out a giggle. It sounded dumb, but it was the only way to express this joy.

"But what about Dipper?"

"Dipper....Dipper will be fine," he sounded uncertain. "I-I'm sure Mabel could fill in for me."

"Perhaps. Now let's get some sleep. Wouldn't want to be tired on our own wedding."

He nods and you turn to face away from him. You can feel his back touch yours as you both drift off to sleep.