° Chapter 30 °

(11:45 PM)

I was finishing the map in the garage. My phone buzzed. I take my phone and check the text. It a text was from Emma.

E: I need to talk to you, can you come outside your house?

I read the text, feeling completely confused.

What the hell would she want at this time?

I put on my jumper and went outside. Emma was standing there.

"Emma, hey." I said, still being confused

"Hey Anna." She said, staring at me.

"What's wrong?" I asked as I could feel my heart beating fast.

She stood in silence for a few seconds, looking down. She finally spoke.

"I saw you and Simon kissing in the hallway a few days ago..."

I stared at her, panicking on the inside.

"I wanted to look for you after your class, to talk about what's been happening with Mike." She said

"Emma, please."

I tried to explain, or at least say anything. But I didn't know what to say.

"You and Mike really want to get out of the clique? Or ruin it?" She asked

"I-umm.." I didn't know what to say.

"I thought you cared about our clique." She said

"I do, but-" I tried to talk, but she cut me off.

"But you care about Simon more, don't you?" She said, sounding like she's on her breaking point.

"The same one that'll leave you soon for a dumb popular girl." She said

"No! It's not like that! It's different." I frowned. We started arguing.

"He will ruin your reputation!" She raised her voice. She pissed me off even more by that sentence, so I stared at her with a confused look and yelled at her.

"Which reputation?! Being the girl who fucked with the leader of her clique, just so she can stay in the group?! That kind of reputation?!" I said. She looked down.

"You don't understand it." I added, feeling tears in my eyes.

"Peter ruined this clique a long time ago." I said

"He didn't." She defended him.

"Do you really think something like this would happen if he was a determined leader, or taking control, so something like that doesn't happen? No. He only warns when it does happen." I said, she stayed silent.

"Only thing I want from you is to not tell him, or anyone else." I said

"You're asking a lot from me."

"I'm asking you as a friend." I quickly said

"I'm sorry. I can't ignore something like that. I never thought you'd be that kind of girl." She said

"Please. Emma, I beg you." I said and stared at her. At first, she looked down but then spoke to me.

"I'm giving you one chance. Don't speak to him, or anything like that. I don't want this clique to fall apart. If I see you with him like that again, I'm going straight to Peter,." She said and moved away.

"I'm sorry it turned out this way." She said and left.

I got back to the garage. I sat down and sighed.

"For fuck sake!" I yelled

If she finds out about Mike and Taylor, she'll definitely tell Peter. She is still in love with Mike, and he doesn't know about it.

I wish it was all less complicated.

(Thursday)

I went to school the next morning. I entered the physics classroom with Mike. I was thinking about Emma and what might happen, the whole time.

"Anna."

"Annabelle!" Mike loudly whispered, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, what?" I said

"You seem weird." He said

"So what? I'm always weird." I nervously chuckled

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah yeah, everything's cool. Finished the map yesterday." I quickly said

"Are you sure that's it?" He asked

"It is. Just come to our meeting today." I said

The bell rang and the class ended. I hugged Mike and decided to go and see Simon. His training started.

I walked to the football stands. He ran for a few minutes until he noticed me. He made an excuse talked to his coach and walked towards me. We went behind the football stands, before anyone could see us. I leaned against the wall as he stood in front of me.

"Hey." He smiled and leaned in to kiss me, but I moved away.

"It's not safe for you to kiss me here. Especially around your clique." I said. He noticed I looked a bit worried.

"But no one can see us." He said and put his hand on my cheek.

"That's only what me and you think." I said

"Did something happen?" He asked, and I moved my head away.

"Yes, and we're at risk. Let's just do all this only after school, please."

"Anna, tell me what happened." He looked worried. I sighed and decided to tell him.

"Emma saw us." I said

"What?"

"In the hallway, when we were kissing." I said and he looked away, frowning a bit.

"What are we going to do? We have to tell the others."

"No, Simon. We can't tell this to the others. Mike and the others agreed we won't do this around school, and that we'll act like everything's normal. Mike will be pissed if he finds out that Emma knows about me and you, and that we're in danger." I said

"I still think that we should tell them."

"No, please." I said and pulled him closer to me.

"I can take care of her. She won't say a word. But please let's be careful, okay?" I added and stroked his jaw. He looked down towards me and spoke.

"Okay." He sighed. I looked around just to make sure no one's watching. I softly kissed him.

"We'll be okay." I said as he hugged me and snuggled close to my neck, making the cold morning a little more warm.