Epilogue

Read until the very end for acknowledgments and thank-you's.

*~*Epilogue*~*

*~*her*~*

Before I met him, I hadn't been able to find a place for myself in the world, and it was like everything was crumbling at my feet.

I scrawl across pages, smearing graphite onto my hands, writing down the stories I told my daughter at a young age, until she became a teen.

Until her father returned to us.

I let out a deep sigh, as if a heavy weight has been lifted from my chest,

And I soak the pages with glistening tears, as he kisses my cheek, and puts his hand below my jaw, feeling my pulse race with memories of a life I thought I'd never get back.

He doesn't break the silence, as he walks away, a new maturity lingers in the air he leaves behind,  the smell of smoke swallowed by a crisp forest scent.

Pine needles cling to his jacket's fur, as if he'd been hiking through the woods recently, and as my bare feet hit the tile in the entryway, I glance at his boots, resting on the mat, they're dusty, mud clings between their teeth.

He's more calm than I remember, taking a deep, slow breath, as he sits down on the couch, leaning his head against it's back, and resting.

The home slowly regains it's old scent, a mix of citrus and minty evergreens, the longer he stays in it's doors, the days he's resided here have brought more light into the windows, and more joy into our hearts.

Lucida walks out of her room, she's wearing a turquoise kimono robe, with coral chrysanthemums as it's design, and her hair messily falls around her shoulders.

She sits down on the couch beside him, and curls up, positioning herself on his side, and he lets her pull his arm around her.

I look at them, and smile, seeing how she finds safety in his arms, much like I always have.

She knows as well as I do, that he protects us.

Once during the night, I heard Lucida come into our room, and whisper, "...Dad ....I heard something in the house, and I thought it came into my room.. and.. I'm..  I was just wondering if that was.. you..?"

She was trying to say she was scared, and so he nodded, "It's okay, do you want me to come and lay with you?" 

She nodded, quietly.

And because there wasn't room in our bed for another body, I barely heard the rustle of him getting up, and the door shutting tightly behind them.

I woke up later that night, and checked on them, he had Lucida wrapped in his arms,and was stroking her head to help her sleep, his eyes locking to me as I walked in.

He didn't sleep that night, just so she'd feel okay.

He'd always been very protective, and he'd never been bothered by it.

It was as if he enjoyed protecting the family.

He stared at Lucida, as we were eating breakfast, "...Lucy.. Do you have a boyfriend?"

She choked on her cereal slightly, and swallowed quickly. "No."

"...Do you like someone, Lucida?"

She didn't respond.

"...Lucida are you lesbi-"

"No! I told you, Scarlet is just my friend!"

"..What about that boy.. uh.. Diesel?"

She tensed.

"...Lucida, I'm not mad."

"...What?"

He didn't say anything, taking a sip of his coffee, "He seems like a nice kid."

"I thought you didn't like him."

"Is there something I don't know?"

"No, He's just kinda weird is all."

"I know he's a reaper, if that's what you're hinting at."

I glanced at Lucida, and nodded, "We've talked about it. You can have him over for dinner if you'd like."

Lucida bit her lip, and looked at G, "...I thought you'd be mad."

"Look, you're my little girl... but.. I want you to be happy, I don't you to be locked away."

It seemed as if she knew as well as I did, that he was referencing growing up locked away in the Underground.

"..You'll always be my hero." She said, softly.

"And you'll always be a part of me." And he poked the hole where his rib used to be.

The End.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Acknowledgements:

Thank you for all of the support you have given me throughout this long process, I'm so thankful for all of you.

I couldn't have done this without every single one of you, and for that I am grateful.

Lucida will likely show up in my original series: The Chameleon Stage, as will Deisel, the character mentioned in the ending, but since G isn't my O.C. he likely won't show up but as a refrence.

As for the girl, you must carry on with your own path, and know you're beautiful, and strong, and independent person.

You don't need a G to make you happy, girls.

As for all of you who've been with me since the beginning,

Thank you so much.

Those who've called me Author-sama and senpai,

You helped me to regain confidence in myself, and recognize that  I wasn't just another username.

Those who called me Author-Chan,

You let me know I was a friend,

Those who gave me compliments, like "Best story" and all the other amazing words,

You gave me hope for my future,

And those who stayed true to me,

You helped me finish this book.

You all have one thing in common:

You helped me learn to appreciate who I was, and helped me believe I wasn't worthless.

I'm so glad, and I love all of you.

I'm sad this has to end.

Maybe we will all come together again, in another book.

But for now, 

I will see you again.

Adieu.