[ Chapter I ] Jung Taekwoon

A place with no 'tomorrows'...

Jung Taekwoon didn't like 'tomorrows'. He didn't like being forced to sleep at night and having to wake up every morning under a sky that didn't seem any brighter than it did at night. His days were always the opposite of fun and enjoyable. Although Taekwoon is only seven, he knows very well about the things that happen around him; why he was hated by everyone in town and why no one dared to talk to him. It wasn't because Taekwoon was timid or quiet or even had intimidating sharp eyes, but because of his parents. He was a child forced to exist in this world from the despair and hatred his father had towards his mother and his two uncles from above. Taekwoon had heard stories about his parents since the day he had learned to walk outside of the mansion and the folks in town would gossip around Taekwoon thinking that the child wouldn't hear.

"It's that child again," they would whisper to one another while stealing glances along with a disgusted face on them to look at the small and innocent child.

When Taekwoon's eyes meet theirs, they would scurry away and disappear. They avoided him like a plague and rejected his existence.

Why do I exist? He constantly questions himself that. But there was no one that could answer him.

Taekwoon's father, despite being entitled 'God of the Dead' or 'Ruler of the Underworld,' was perceived as a failure who lost against his two older brothers because he was too weak compared to them. The worst punishment for the one that lost was to be sealed in the world of the dead and forced to watch over them.

His father was strict, controlling, and very egocentric. Anyone who dared to cross his path would face punishment so cruel that they wish they were dead. Because of this, Taekwoon knows very well than to ever talk back to his father or let his father see him as 'weak.'

Weakness was against the rules in his family.

Taekwoon still remembers that one time when he came home after getting picked on by the other children in town when he was covered in scratches and bruises, as well as mud all over him. When his father saw Taekwoon in such state, Taekwoon really thought that he would receive the comfort or sympathy from his father for once. But instead of comfort, his father grabbed him by the arms forcefully and tied him above the sea of wailing banshees.

"This is the consequence of being weak and powerless," his father warned him. "You have disgraced me and you will continue to hang up there until you stop those useless tears. Do you think that by crying, you'll solve anything? Tears are useless and unnecessary in this family. You're just like your mother. Useless!"

That was the last time Taekwoon ever­­ let his father see him cry. Tears were a sign of weakness, and weakness was not allowed; not in front of anyone and definitely not in front of this father.

* * * * * *

As much as Taekwoon hated the mornings, he hated staying at home even more. He couldn't stand the pressure he felt just knowing that his father was nearby under the same roof. Instead, he would walk outside into town even though the adults avoided him and Taekwoon knew very well he w­asn't welcome.

Although the adults avoided him, the children in town did not. It wasn't because they were his friends, no, nothing like that at all. Instead, it was so that they could make fun of him, push him around and point fingers at Taekwoon for his misfortune.

Their words hurt of course, but more importantly, he wasn't avoided. He liked to be acknowledged by others, even if it meant getting pushed around. If not for them, Taekwoon would feel even lonelier. He hated the adults who would secretly whisper behind his back thinking Taekwoon was just a child who understood nothing. But Taekwoon understood everything. He may be quiet but he was very observant and sensitive about how others looked at him. Their cold stares were more painful than the words children threw at him.