[Chapter XXIX] - Masquerade

Another day, just like any other.

Hongbin was arguing with his seniors at the Parliament on setting new laws and rules for the country. He stood firm with his decisions and Hakyeon stood nearby as he watched.

Hakyeon knew nothing about laws or politics so he was quite bored just watching them argue in what seems to be another language. He never thought that he would become a bodyguard for someone like Hongbin until three years ago. He's never had much thought about his dreams or goals that he wanted to pursue while he was growing up. He liked the freedom he had and as the only son in the Cha family, it seemed obvious that he would inherit the family bakery.

But one thing happened after another and finally, he left Pinewoods. As happy as he could have been staying in his hometown for the rest of his life, just being in that town reminded him of the sadness that could not be erased. So, when Hakyeon was asked by Hongbin's father to guard his son, he agreed.

The bakery was gone and Hakyeon wanted an excuse to run away from his past. Just being in Pinewoods, reminded him of the sadness and desperation he had caused.

Because unlike the rest of the folks in Pinewoods, Hakyeon still remembers.

He still remembers Jung Taekwoon.

While Hakyeon was deep in his thoughts, the meeting was already over. Hongbin walked suspiciously towards Hakyeon, his bodyguard that seems to have a habit of spacing out constantly.

"Ya. It's over. Let's move it." Hongbin demanded.

"Huh? Oh yeah. Right. Let's go." Hakyeon replied, while still trying to come back into reality.

Hongbin stared at Hakyeon and shook his head. No matter how many times Hongbin tells Hakyeon to pay attention and stop spacing out, the older never seems to remember. Just as they were leaving the building, one of Hongbin's acquaintance greeted them.

"Sir Hongbin, will you be attending the dinner party tomorrow evening?" He asked Hongbin.

"Huh? I thought I had already refused. Why would I be interested in-..." Hongbin paused. He took a glance at Hakyeon. "Never mind. On the contrary, I guess it won't hurt to go."

Hakyeon looked blankly at Hongbin, at the younger agreeing to go to some party. He's never been interested in them in the past, why the sudden change in mind?

"That's wonderful. I'll make sure you're listed on the guest list. Will your bodyguard here be attending as well?"

"Of course," Hongbin said.

"See you tomorrow." The man said and left.

"You've never been to one, right?" Hongbin turned to Hakyeon.

"A party?"

"Yeah."

Hakyeon nodded his head.

"Well then. Be thankful. You can attend this one and only this one. I don't like crowds and parties but since father keeps telling me to reward you for your service, I'll let you attend one. I guess it won't hurt to give this opportunity to you as a gift. But you better stop spacing out afterward and start paying attention to me!" Hongbin declared.

"Thanks. I guess?" Hakyeon wasn't sure whether or not Hongbin was being nice for once or just because he was a good child and listening to his father's words.

Either way, Hakyeon saw this as a good way to help him relax and possibly, take his minds off of things.

* * * * * *

The night came for the party and it was a perfectly clear night for the event. Many rich and high-status individuals came to the party by their fancy carriages and perfectly groomed attire. All the riches of the Capital was gathered in a single place during this special evening. Parties such as this weren't unusual for those that lived in the Capital. It was more like a routine for them. Gathering together, chatting and having fun.