[Chapter XXXVIII] Let Me Free

Hyuk woke up early in the morning as usual and went straight into his training. Everyone was fighting for a reason and getting stronger as they trained, so there was no way that Hyuk would want to fall behind. Even Hakyeon has gotten a lot stronger lately.

As he made his way to the training room, he noticed that the mansion was oddly quieter than usual. As if there was no sign of life other then himself that morning. His master was nowhere to be found nor heard. Hyuk has amazing senses for being a hellhound and could usually hear his master's breathing and life even from across the mansion. But today, even the sound of breathing could not be heard. This was rather strange. Did Taekwoon go somewhere?

One of Hyuk's private messengers relayed a message for him saying that Taekwoon went out into town for some reason but didn't know what it was exactly. Hyuk was relieved to hear that his master didn't really do anything else out of the ordinary so he didn't mind it and went back to resume his training.

Taekwoon rarely goes out of the mansion and when he does, it was probably due to some political affairs in which Hyuk couldn't interfere with anyways.

As Hyuk was taking a break from his training, he heard footsteps coming from outside the entrance. It seems that Taekwoon has returned.

Curious, Hyuk quietly walked to see Taekwoon's return but as his master went through the door, Hyuk noticed a strange expression on his master.

Taekwoon looked exhausted, puzzled and even frustrated for some reason. Did he have a fight with someone? If so, why does he look like that?

It was a look of 'defeat.' But that couldn't be possible. Being defeated in the Underworld meant death and if his master was still alive to come back home, something else must have happened. Hyuk went down the steps to greet his master back home but Taekwoon paid him no attention.

It was the usual.

Just because Taekwoon allowed Hyuk to stay by his side didn't mean that his master was willing to open up to him nor anyone for that matter.

* * * * * *

Why are you here Cha Hakyeon? How...

Taekwoon still couldn't believe it. He kept asking him answerless questions as he made his way back to his bedroom. He locked himself in his bedroom as always but with many thoughts and confusion. Taekwoon would have never thought that he'd be seeing his previous love and lifelong friend here, in the Underworld. How did Hakyeon get here?

What's going on?

Taekwoon felt the stress of the questions that kept bombarding his mind and having no answers for them, made him even more frustrated. How can Hakyeon be here in the Underworld, a place for those that have died or Gods that resided in the Underworld?

Did Hakyeon die? No, that can't be right...

Taekwoon had clearly witnessed the strange powers Hakyeon wielded in front of him. It was powerful enough that even Taekwoon was taken by surprise. Powers of light and darkness, it was unrefined but it was definitely strong. With enough polishing of those powers, maybe Hakyeon could be a match to himself... the Ruler of the Underworld.

Exactly what had happened during these five years that Taekwoon has returned to the Underworld? He was afraid to hear any news of the mortal realm or especially of Hakyeon for that matter during these five years that he didn't know what to think of Hakyeon being in the Underworld.