[Chapter XVIII] - How to Say Goodbyes

Taekwoon was stunned by Hakyeon's mother's question.

Did she just say the mortal realm? But how?

"I... what do you mean?" Taekwoon confused and panicked.

"To the mortal realm or human world. I know it. You're... a God. From the Underworld right? I can sense it from you even if you try to hide it. The eye of the moon hidden behind those bandages on your right arm... it's calling out for me."

"But how?"

"I..." She was hesitating to answer despite being the one who brought up the topic. As if she had no other choice... "I used to be a Goddess as well. Lived in the same world as the one you came from. They use to call me the Goddess of the Moon, the one who watched over the Moon and protected it. But I left the Underworld and came here to live with humans, instead."

"You? Why?" Taekwoon was too shocked at her suddenly claiming to be a god, the Goddess of the Moon, nonetheless. Then, what about Hakyeon?

"I fell in love. With the man, Hakyeon's father. The gods from below are no different from those that lived up in the Heavens. We had the powers to observe how the humans lived and it was one of the only things that kept us entertained, especially for me and my two siblings. We watched the humans live and struggle, working hard to survive on their own without any external powers or strengths. Hakyeon's father was different from so many humans in my eye. He tried so hard to survive and help the town even when he was just a boy and although he got picked on a lot, he never once stopped smiling. Hakyeon resembled his father's personality a lot. As I watched him, I became curious and attracted to him. I felt as if his smile had the ability to light my entire world and change how gloomy I was becoming. When I decided to meet the man, I broke all Godly rules but I did not regret it. The moment I finally saw him, I fell in love, more than ever." She said.

"How were you able to get here though? I thought the door, the gateway that connected the two worlds was locked because of the missing key," Taekwoon questioned while still trying to digest everything he just heard.

"It wasn't during my time. It only became that way a little after Hakyeon was born. Apparently, the key was lost or taken and the Gods banned access between the two worlds."

"I see... but why are you telling me this?" He wondered.

"Because I don't want you to end up the same way as I am now. The reason why I've become this ill is that I was once a God. The blood of the god's once flowed through my veins but by coming here to the human world, it means that I have left on my own to become human. Immortals such as yourself, have a longer lifespan than humans and don't get the same humanly diseases they do. Even your injuries healed up rather quickly. If a human were to be in the same state as you, they would've died already from the amount of blood you lost. Being human means that we have thrown away our identity as Gods and the longer you stay here in the human world, the easier it is for you to get sick and even die. The Gods that get sent down here to study about the humans, would often make trips between the worlds just to replenish their energy. Staying here permanently will kill you eventually. This is why I'm sick and I know very well that I don't have much time left in me. I have used up every drop of my strength left to trick Hakyeon and his father into thinking I'm getting better but this lie can't be kept for long." Her face became dimmed with sadness when she spoke the truth.

Taekwoon was shocked to hear this from her and didn't know what to make of it all. Does that mean if he chooses to stay here, he will fall in the same predicament as Hakyeon's mother?

"I know my son has asked you to stay here. Forever to be exact. But you cannot do that. I know you love my son. I can see it in your eyes, the same as how I was when I first met Hakyeon's father but you have so much youth ahead of you, so much time left to experience the worlds. I don't wish for you to become the same as me. I once thought how sad I would be if I saw Hakyeon's father pass away before me because a human's lifespan was shorter than that of the God's but as I got sick, I realized, the one with an even shorter time is the Gods that have thrown away their identity to become human. When I fell ill, the sight of my husband having to worry and care for me day and night broke my heart. I thought... how regretful I would be not to be able to care for him or comfort him after I pass away. Just imagining my husband drown in misery after I pass away, I just can't take the pain for not being able to be by his side anymore, to tell him everything would be alright. If Hakyeon saw you fall ill after staying here for too long, he would be very upset and won't be able to live with himself. My son is too soft-hearted and cries a lot despite how strong he tries to be. When you got injured for the sake of protecting him, he was restless and couldn't stop worrying about you. What would he do if he finds out that the reason you die or got sick was because he told you to stay?"