[Chapter XIII] - Us Now

Taekwoon was sitting in the living room while waiting for Soo-ah to get her father. But he was worried about what would happen after he meets the man that he didn't even come to meet. He lied his way to get inside but now he didn't know what to do afterward. He couldn't sit still and started to walk around in circles throughout the room nervously. He couldn't take it anymore and decided to walk out into the hallway. Maybe he will just find Hakyeon another way.

The mansion was big but definitely not as big as his own home. It was filled with framed artworks and luxurious pottery along the hall. For a mayor of a middle-class town, he sure had a lot of treasures to flaunt. Just as Taekwoon was trying to find the exit, he heard someone talking nearby and peeked to see who it was.

He saw the lady talking to someone around the corner. Was it her dad? What should Taekwoon do if they found out he was lying about wanting to meet with the mayor?

He was just about to make his escape until he heard a familiar voice. So familiar that Taekwoon's heart automatically started beating both nervously and excitedly. He walked towards the girl and the voice talking to one another.

There he was.

Taekwoon didn't know how but he knew. Dark yet beautiful caramel-like skin, tall but slightly shorter than Taekwoon, a long neck with firm skin and a lightly slim figure. His eyes were like giant marbles that were pitch black like a doll's. And the voice that spoke, yes, that voice. The voice that Taekwoon has heard for so long and so familiar with...

"Hakyeon-ah." Taekwoon blurted out by accident.

Hakyeon looked at him, wondering who the person was that called his name with such affection and familiarity. The two looked at one another as Taekwoon was trying to make sense that this was not a dream.

"You two know each other?" The girl interrupted Taekwoon while he was still busy scanning Hakyeon's appearance.

Hakyeon shook his head.

Just as Taekwoon was about to tell Hakyeon who he was, he got interrupted again...

"Soo-ah, what are you doing down here? Aren't you supposed to be at your aunt's place to learn cooking?" An old man approached the three of them.

"Oh, you're here as well," he said to Hakyeon.

The man's tone had a slightly belittling tone to it which irritated Taekwoon. Taekwoon gave him a glare. His shape gaze caught the old man's attention.

"Who's this?"

"Oh right! Daddy, this young man here wanted to meet you. He's a traveler and he helped rescue Nikki just now. I forgot to ask for your name, how rude of me. What's your name?"

Taekwoon hesitated for a moment. Does he want to fake his name or just tell them his real name? Does he want to tell more lies than he's already have told?

"It's... Taekwoon. Jung Taekwoon." He told them the truth in his small quiet voice as his gaze started to wander off.

"Oh? Well, nice to meet you, Mr. Jung. How can I assist you?" The old man replied.

Taekwoon didn't know what to say, to be honest. He was too afraid to look up and see his friend's face. What if he's already been forgotten?

"I..."

"Well?" The old man getting slightly impatient with Taekwoon's hesitation.

"Taekwoonie?" Hakyeon said muttering to himself enough for Taekwoon to hear.

Yes, Taekwoon. That Taekwoonie. The one who you have never met before but have talked to for the past ten years. The one you would run towards when you're feeling happy or sad. The one you always asked for songs and lullabies. The one who also couldn't accept your marriage and made you so upset to the point of cutting your friendship with.