[Chapter XXVIII] - Another Beginning

ACT II

The Capital.

A city of riches and dreams.

The place that made the laws for the country at the center of the world.

Hakyeon never once thought that he would ever have a reason to live in a place like the Capital. Until three years ago where he took on a job that required him to move into this massive city. It's been more than three years already yet, he still had a hard time adjusting.

Hakyeon was more into the simplistic life he had back in Pinewoods but many things have happened since Taekwoon suddenly disappeared. He broke the heart of his lifelong friend and lover because he thought he could protect him. Hakyeon loved Taekwoon too much to the point that he was afraid of putting the other in danger because of who he truly was. Soo-ah was different though. Rather than hurting the one she loved, she sacrificed herself and hurt herself for Taekwoon instead. She deserved Taekwoon more than Hakyeon did. That's what he thought five years ago. But he never would have guessed that Taekwoon would take Soo-ah away from her home and disappear without a sign.

No one knew where the two went.

No one remembered who they were.

A strange thing happened after Hakyeon realized that Taekwoon was no longer in Pinewoods. People no longer talked about the poker-faced boy who recently came to town and befriended them. His name was never mentioned once and when it was mentioned, no one recalled who he was. As if the name 'Jung Taekwoon' never existed.

However, everyone could still remember the youngest daughter of the mayor of Pinewoods, Kwon Soo-ah. They were frantic at her sudden disappearance and her father fell into despair. He lost his daughter and had no idea where she could've gone. Some said she must have eloped with her lover and ran away from home after canceling her marriage with Hakyeon. There was some truth in that rumor, to say the least. The mayor spent all his fortunes trying to find Soo-ah but only to end up with more disappointment and misery. The wealth that he flaunted at the common folks disappeared in a blink of an eye and soon, he became penniless. He no longer cared for the money he had and decided to leave Pinewoods in order to search for his daughter. What became of him after leaving was unknown.

After the mayor had left the town, Pinewoods went back to how it was before there was a form of democracy. The people made their own rules and system but it was a perfect system for them. Everyone in Pinewoods knew one another years after years, they were close and was like family.

The Capital, on the other hand, was too large to remember all the faces you see in even half a day.

* * * * * *

The reason as to why Hakyeon ended up working in the big city was due to his mother passing away. She had fought long and hard with her unexplained illness but was not getting any better. Day by day, Hakyeon, and his father watched her get weaker. She could no longer return to the energetic and happy lady that she was before and the family felt helpless as they watched her struggle.

Not long after Taekwoon's disappearance, Hakyeon's mother also passed away. As if she decided to follow the steps of her 'second son.' Hakyeon's mother was rather close to Taekwoon and cared greatly for him. Hakyeon was relieved to see that Taekwoon and his mother got along despite the many times his mother was silent the first time she met Taekwoon. Hakyeon sensed that his mother was somewhat aware of Taekwoon's presence when he first introduced them to one another. But he didn't know what it was.