[ Chapter III ] - For a Change, I Look Forward to Tomorrow

There was only silence. Taekwoon didn't know what to say. He was too shocked to hear that the door was talking to him.

"Hello?" it said again.

The voice sounded thin though as if it belonged to a child's. Taekwoon hesitated for a bit and replied back.

"...Hello."

"Heol! There's someone behind this door?!" the voice exclaimed so loudly that it startled Taekwoon a bit.

"I've been here all week trying to figure out how to open this thing and no luck at all! I even thought this was just some prank from the other kids after they tricked me into coming here! It was so scary, I thought it was about time to give up!" he continued.

Taekwoon didn't know how to reply. He was still bewildered by the door talking to him and all he could think about was how loud and rowdy it was being.

"Hello? You still there? You didn't walk away, did you?"

"..."

"No wait, don't tell me this door is the one talking?" and Taekwoon heard a kick on the door.

Taekwoon got shocked by the kicking and even Hyuk bounced a step backward before he let out a bark.

"Woof!" as Hyuk growled at the door.

"Huh? Wait, was that a dog I just heard? No way, there's a dog on the other side too? Unless... it's the door that's making the barking sound as well!" he kicks the door again and started banging.

As if hurting the door could solve his mysteries.

The boy was loud, obnoxious and somewhat rude for scaring both Taekwoon and Hyuk but they didn't know what to do. The boy's energy was overflowing so much that Taekwoon could feel it from the other side. He's never heard someone talk this much before, at least not when he's wasn't getting bullied.

"I... I'm not the door," Taekwoon finally said, hoping to put a stop to the boy's kicking and fussing.

"You're not?"

"Mhmm."

"Than who are you? I've been coming here almost every other day because I lost a bet with my friends and I haven't heard anyone else around until now."

"I... I'm on the other side of this door," Taekwoon said softly.

"What? I can't hear you, Say again?' The boy demanded.

"I'm on the other side. I just found this door and can't open it," Taekwoon said while trying to raise an octave into his voice.

"Really? Heol! Daebak! This is ...." the boy paused.

Taekwoon listened for the boy to continue.

"So cool!!! What is this? This is like one of those Seven Wonders of the World type of stories Dad always talk about!" The boy started to talk even louder. Taekwoon could hear the rustling of the ground from the other side.

Is he jumping around? Is he that excited? Taekwoon thought.

"Oh! What's your name? My name is Cha Hakyeon. You can just call me Hakyeon. I'm 7 years old and my birthday is on June 30. I have a mom and dad and lots of friends. Oh, I love to dance but I hate sports and oh! And –" the boy kept on going, not allowing Taekwoon to even answer him. He was too excited and talking too fast to the point that Taekwoon couldn't keep up. The boy, Hakyeon, was too energetic and so loud it made Hyuk scrunch his face and covered his ears with his two tiny paws.

Hakyeon finally decided to stop.

"So what's your name?" Finally giving Taekwoon a chance to talk.