[Chapter XXXII] The Underworld

Jaehwan told Hakyeon and Hongbin to stay a few more days in Pinewoods so that the two can strengthen their powers. Although Hakyeon is a half-God, he is still human inside especially since he has not awakened any of his godly powers yet. Jaehwan taught the two how to fight against the negative thoughts and the darkness they might encounter after setting foot into the Underworld. The first place they will have to go through after opening the door to the other side is a place called the 'Forest of Nightmares.' As the name suggests, those who live in the forest are only the souls of the dead who lingers the forest filled with regrets and vengeance. Jaehwan told them that no one, even those in the Underworld would ever dare to venture in it because of the things that lurk within. Jaehwan can try to protect the two once they're inside, but they must also be prepared for anything because there's a limit to what Jaehwan can do alone.

Hakyeon also got to see his father finally during his stay. His father's conditions were a lot better and apparently, the letter that Hakyeon's mother wrote to him was left on the desk by his father. His father was trying to clean up all their old belongings that reminded him of his wife but when he came across the letter, he couldn't find it in his heart to throw it away. Neither did he read it. He felt that he should respect his wife and give the letter to Hakyeon whenever his son decides to come home.

The father and son finally bid their farewells after the boys have completed a portion of their training and left the town to head towards the Underworld.

Hakyeon already knew where the door was and although he did not visit the place since he breaking up with Taekwoon, his body remembers very well the path of where the door was. It was indeed a place for hellos and goodbyes.

"We're here. You two ready?" Jaehwan asked.

Hongbin and Hakyeon looked at one another and again at Jaehwan. They nodded with an unwavering expression on their faces.

"Well then, let's get going, shall we? The faster we finish this up, the better. We can't stay on the other side for too long."

Jaehwan took something out from his pockets, a bundle of bronze keys that were chained to one another. They dangled and chimed against one another with a rather unusual sound which was neither beautiful or eerie. It was an unexplainable sound. Jaehwan said he took these keys from the Heavens and that these were the keys that could open all the doors to the worlds that connected to one another.

"Let's keep this a secret, okay?" Jaehwan said since he took them without permission from the original key keepers in Heaven. If he were to get caught from those above, he would have a line of consequences and punishment waiting for him.

As Jaehwan brought one of the keys out, the door began to glow brilliantly. It responded to the strange chiming of the keys. Suddenly, a keyhole appeared on the door. Hakyeon was surprised that the door had a hidden keyhole this entire time. He stood dumbfounded at the door for the nine years, thinking it could never be opened. He still remembers that for the longest time, he had searched and traced the door all around to see if there was a way to open it. But there was nothing, no handles nor hidden triggers for him to get to the other side. It was the only way to confirm whether or not his lifelong friend was real or if the man named 'Jung Taekwoon', was a lie.

Yet, Jaehwan easily activated the door and making it open on its own. Hakyeon couldn't help but stare in astonishment.

"Earth to Hakyeon-hyung, you ready?" Jaehwan snapped his fingers at Hakyeon who was busily spacing out and staring at the door before them.

"Why do you still call him your hyung? Shouldn't you be like centuries older than Hakyeon?" Hongbin asked.

"I'm too used to it. Old habits die hard, right?" Jaehwan laughed.