Chapter 23

As you all might have noticed, Alex hasn't been telling stories anymore. She doesn't even interrupt mine.

So.. I don't really know how to tell you this but..

Alex.. has passed away.

She had cancer, and it already spreaded too much. So chemos weren't an option anymore.

About a month ago, we found out. She was taking a shower when she found a lump on her breast. We immediately went to the hospital. But the doctors told us we were too late already.
She made me promise I'd keep telling our stories, and I did. But that comes to an end too.

I thought I should let you know.

As a final story, I'd like to talk about our relationship in general and how loving and caring Alex was.

Alex was the most down to earth person I had ever met. She helped me overcome my fears, and stood by me at every obstacle I faced in life.

I remember one time, I got sick and all Alex did was check on me every 10 minutes. She'd came up with different things everytime.
A bowl of soup, a box of tissues, a cup of tea or she would just fluff up my pillow and join me for a little while.

She made me feel good and happy even tho I was feeling like shit. And not just when I was sick.

It was her birthday, and we were having a party. She had been looking forward to that day since we planned it. Which had been about 8 months earlier.

So the party was already going and Alex had a few drinks.
We were dancing and just having fun.
Alex had a great time, which made me happy.
I went to grab a drink when my phone ranged. It was my mom, saying my grandmother had passed away.

Alex immediately noticed something was wrong when she spotted me.
She came up to me and brought me upstairs.

She told me she was going to send everyone home.
But she was so excited about this day, I couldn't be the one ruining it for her. But she insisted.
She said she couldn't have fun while I was feeling like shit.
So when everyone had left, she just came back to me with a cup of tea and just sat beside me, rubbing my back.

She didn't even know what was going on. She was just, determined to make me feel better.

And when I told her it was my grandmother, she immediately said we were going to texas. And I was glad she said that, because I didn't want to go alone. But I couldn't ask that from her.

The time we had been together, she did nothing more or less than look out for me, and caring for and about me. She was the most beautiful human being, on the inside and on the outside.

Once, she just surprised me with a bunch of roses. And maybe they're just roses to you, but they brightened up my entire day.

And it were all kinds of small things that made me fall in love with her even more.

Alex was also really overprotective. Sometimes, people would say bad things about me, or to me. And yeah it hurt, but I got used to it.

She would ask me if I was okay. And then she would just take over my phone and reply to every single one of them. She said she'd kill them all if she'd ever met them.

Alex was everything you could ever wish for. She was my first love, my wife, the mother of our child.

I think she was taken away from this earth too soon. She was such a good person. She couldn't even hurt a fly.
All she wanted in life, was already there. A family and her own business. That's what made her happy.

I think I saw her on her happiest when our little girl, Nicky, was born.

The second she got to hold her, she teared up. "She's so beautiful", she said. And I think about that moment everyday.

Nicky is too young to remember her mom. And Alex knew that. So when she knew she was sick, she started taping everything. She wanted Nicky to remember her mom for the way she always was, the crazy, loving, caring mother, that would do anything for her family.

She wanted me to show the videos to Nicky when she turns 10. She'd be older and things would be easier for her to understand. Alex also left her her favorite bracelet. She wore it 24/7 and she wanted the give it to Nicky for her 10th birthday as well. And now that was my job.

She gave me her wedding ring back before she died. She wanted to keep living and not let her stop me from things. I had to have fun. But I can't yet.

I'm wearing it around my neck. But I'm still wearing my own ring on my finger. And it's not coming off for a long time. That way, she'll always be with me.

God, I miss Alex..

It's like she could walk through that door any second and say "Hey babe, what's for dinner?"
But it just takes a little time. It has a month now. We'll be okay.

I have to go to work now. I'm glad Alex taught me how to make coffee, because that's what I'm doing all day.

Yes, I took over her cafe for her. It was her pride and I wouldn't be able to look at myself if I sold the place.

Things are going really well. She made a renovation plan not too long ago. And it was happening in about 2 weeks. I wanted this to be everything she had hoped for. And I hope one day, Nicky will take over.

Thank you for being interested in our stories.

Alex loved telling them, and so did I.