Chapter 22

Our beautiful daughter Nicky was born on the 12th of June at 1.37 am.

When we found out I was pregnant, we were the happiest people on earth. It took a while before we could find a good donor. And we were afraid it didn't work. But it did.
As soon as that pregnancy test showed positive, we basically jumped in the air. Alex grabbed my face and kissed me. She was almost crying. I had never seen her this excited.

She placed her hand on my stomach and told the baby that she was going to be the best mom ever, that was a promise.

As my belly grew, I became moody and annoying and every bad thing you can think of. But Alex didn't go anywhere. She did everything for me.

Everytime we went to bed, she kissed me and my belly. "I love you both more than anything in the world", she said. And that every single night. Even in the morning. She was already the best mother someone could wish for.

So when the baby was on its way, Alex was the only one panicking. She needed everything to be perfectly fine so she immediately took me to the hospital. She kept asking me if I was okay. I wasn't even in that much pain.

When we got at the hospital and they laid me in bed, in a private room, she sat next me and grabbed hand. "You don't ever have to get through that again. I'll have the next one." So I looked at her and smiled. "Next one?", I asked. "Yeah, I mean, if everything goes well and we decide to have a second baby, then yes."

When It was time to start pushing, Alex never left my side. She kept holding my hand, wiping the sweat of my face and encouraging me.

Then the most wonderful moment came. The nurse brought in our baby and placed her in my arms. I pulled her blanket down a bit so I could see her beautiful face. We had already discussed names.
"Hi there little Nicky", I said as I grabbed her tiny hand.

"Can I hold her?", Alex asked softly. "Of course baby."
She smiled and gently took Nicky from me.

She started talking to her. "Hey there beautiful girl. I'm so happy you're finally here. I'm going to love you with everything I have and I will be the best mom ever, I promise. I won't ever let you down nor leave your side." Then she softly kissed her small forehead. 

I smiled at the sight of them together.

"Hold it right there", I said as I grabbed my phone. I opened my camera and took a picture.

She laid Nicky back in my arms and crawled next to me. "My perfect little family", she said. She planted a soft kiss on my forehead and held Nicky's tiny hand between her thumb and index finger.

When we finally got home, Alex immediately asked me if I needed anything. I told her I was fine and I took Nicky upstairs to her room.

When I got back downstairs, Alex had covered the couch in pillows and blankets. There were bags of chips on the coffee table, and a big mug of tea was on its way.

As soon as she noticed I got back, she hugged me. "Thank you for giving me the best family anyone could ever wish for", she said.

She brought me to the couch and laid me down. "Tea is on its way", she said. "Thank you", was all I could say. As soon as she got back in the kitchen it hit me. She had been doing so much for me and I had no idea how to thank her for that.

"Here you go babe", she said snapping me out of my thoughts.

"What were you thinking about?", she asked as she sat beside me. "About you, and everything you've done for me for the past months. I have no idea how to repay you or even thank you for that", I said.

She smiled.

"You have already repaid me by giving me, us, a beautiful healthy daughter. That's everything I wished for."

At that moment, I had no idea how I got so lucky. I just pulled her in and hugged her like there was no tomorrow.

"I love you so much", I said. "I love you too."