Chapter 4 - I wake up and I'm still tired

The first thing I hear is the music. My head feels like it's been stuffed with pillow fluff and my eyes feel glued shut. So I try to relax when I think I recognize the song.

.....if one day you wake up and find that you're missing me. And your heart starts to wonder where on this earth I could be. Thinking maybe you'll come back here to the place that we'd meet. And you'd see me waiting for you on the corner of the street........

And then the memories come back. Ronnie. Cisco. Caitlin. The Particle Accelerator.

My eyes fly open and I sit up sharply, my heart rate increasing with panic and worry.

"OH MY GOD!" Someone yells to my right and I hear a crash. I look over to the source and see a very startled Cisco who is on the floor. "Give me some warning next time girl!"

I roll my eyes once I realize that everything was okay and then wince at the pain. "Next time before I wake up, I'll be sure to text you before hand."

Cisco gives me a look. "For real now? You've been in a coma for more than 8 and a half months and the first thing you do when you wake up is sass me. Unbelievable."

I laugh, not completely processing what Cisco just said. "You know me, I-wait. Did you just say eight and a half months?!"

"Well, technically it's like eight months and three weeks." Cisco answers. "But yeah, something like that."

"Okay, you're telling me I've slept for eight months and three weeks straight and I'm still tired?!" I exclaim and Cisco laughs, giving me a hug.

"Oh, it's been quiet here without you and......" Cisco says, trailing off as if he's hit a realization.

"Me and who Cisco?" I ask. Cisco gives me a look that makes my stomach drop.

No. It can't be.

He can't be.

"Ronnie's dead isn't he," I say, almost automatically and Cisco nods. I feel the tears brim at the edge of my eyes and Cisco pulls me into a hug as they start to fall.

"He's not dead," I say, in denial. "HE'S NOT GONE!"

Flashback to 14 years ago...........

"Hello?" Someone says, unlocking the door. "Mason are you in here?"

Mason. I think that's my dad's name.

"Rani?" Another, younger voice says. "Where are you?"

"Ronnie?" I croak out, thinking I hear my cousin's voice. I crawl over to my door and I slam my hand on my room door as hard as I can, hoping they can hear me.

Thankfully they do. I hear footsteps coming closer to the door and they unlock my bedroom door.

"Rani?!" Aunt Elaine says, rushing to my side. "What happened to you?"

"Dad told me he had to go somewhere," I say. "He said if I left my room, then he wouldn't come back for me."

"Rani, how many days has it been since you've seen him? How long has it been since you've had food."

"Monday," I say, afraid to tell her that I had

Aunt Elaine gasps and looks at Uncle Edward who nods. "Rani, sweetheart, it's Saturday, you're coming home with us."

"No! He's going to leave me! Mom's dead and I don't want to be alone!" I say, curling back up on the floor.

That's when Ronnie comes over and gives me a hug. "You won't be alone. I'll be there for you."