Chapter 25 - Ramen and Cold Shoulders

One week later.......

"Hey, it's Barry!"

My fist connects with the woven cover hard, the thud echoing through the room.

"You've reached my phone and as it seems I think I'm not available."

"You think?" I murmur, sending another round of punches at the bag in front of me faster, the electricity starting to spark from me.

"Leave me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!"

If that were true I wouldn't be here now would I, Barry? In the spite of my emotions, I punch the bag as hard as I can, sending it flying across the room. I sigh, pulling out my headphones and ending the call before righting the punching bag and locking up the building gym for the night.

I got my speed almost a week ago and I've gotten somewhat the hang of it. I know how to control my speed and how not to accidentally go into "speedster mode" as I like to call it.

Without Barry that is.

He was still upset at me, and I guess he has every right to be. I would have run the other way if I had to deal with me in that emotional mess. At first, I didn't leave the comforts of my couch. I was too scared of what was coming and my brain couldn't think of anything else. Then my stomach grumbled and funny enough I found myself making some ramen without really thinking about it (way to adult I know I'm proud of myself too).

And let me tell you.....that was some shit good ramen.

Unfortunately, I hadn't noticed how delicious that ramen was until it was completely gone. And yes, I'm aware this is the stupidest way to have a mental revelation but I like to think the most important thoughts happen at three in the morning over a bowl of ramen.

But anyway, back to the point of all of this.

I had spent almost the entire night worrying about what I could do to people with my speed that I never realized what was in front of me. Quite literally.

I thought I had rid myself of the bad memories from Starling that night I cried my eyes out in Barry's arms, but I hadn't. All this time, I thought if I forgave myself about something, I'd never think on it again and that this pain would go away.

Unfortunately, life doesn't work like that. What I did will always be with me, no matter what I do and I realized I had two options. I could either mope around for the rest of my life or get up and taste the ramen.

Uh...well not literally at the moment but you get my point.

Anyway, I called Barry to apologize about two days later but he's been giving me the cold shoulder. A very well-deserved cold shoulder. I've been a terrible mess around him and I feel bad that my emotions get the best of me when he's around.

Barry's got that effect on me and I know exactly why......and I also know that he doesn't feel the same way.

That brings me to this moment, where I'm walking casually up the stairs to my apartment when my phone rings and I spot Cisco's name in the caller ID.

"What's up?"

"Your time watching Agents of SHIELD."

"WOW. Using my own words against me. Rude," I respond. "For real, what's going on?"

"Bank robbery in progress at Cunningham and Sampere, Barry is already en route."

"On my way," I respond, before running up the rest of the stairs at superspeed and changing into my suit before running out the door to the robbery.

As I come upon the location, I spot Barry race into the building and I follow, only to find a teenage girl pointing a gun at another person. I race over to her and I see the bullet fly and while every instinct is telling me to stop the bullet, I ignore them because I know Barry has it covered. I pull the gun out of her hands and quickly unload it, the bullets falling ever so slowly to the ground. I place the empty gun on the ground as well before turning around and following Barry up the stairs and out of sight.

I pant from the running and spot the obstacle that Barry used to stop the bullet, things slowing down to normal time.

"Nice thinking, with the money case thing."

"Yeah, um you too."

We gaze out at the people as they slowly seem to snap back to their senses before we glance at each other and leave, the two of us running two separate ways back.

》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》

"Rani!!" I hear a voice call and I spin around, spotting Iris walk in. "How's it going?"

"Good!" I smile, giving her a hug. "Just a bit busy because of the robbery this morning."

"Oh, I can imagine. Did you hear that the Flash and the Flare were there?"

That's right, Iris has been keeping tabs on us.

"The who now?" I respond, raising an eyebrow like I do when I'm confused.

"Haven't you heard the rumors around the city yet?!" She almost screeches in excitement and I chuckle, grabbing work I have to turn in, before heading out, Iris following behind me.

"Oh of those two blurs?" I respond. "I thought that was just a photo editing trend."

"Don't play dumb with me Rani," She laughs. "You've probably searched every corner for them too."

"And street camera," I mumble, playing the part the best I can and thankfully Iris cheers in triumph.

"I'm glad to know there's someone else here who appreciates them," Iris responds and I smile, a little happier knowing that people feel the way that Iris do about my other life. Then my eye catches Barry as he waits in apprehension outside of Captain Singh's office.

"Yikes I don't know who I pity more to in that room," I say, glancing into the office. "What's going on?"

"I think the Eddie is trying to convince the Captain that the Flash and the Flare are public menaces."

"Excuse me?!" Iris responds and Barry just shrugs awkwardly, not knowing what else to say, the door opens, revealing a frustrated Eddie, and Iris storms up to talk to him.

"So after weeks of my trying to convince you that the Flash and the Flare are real, now that you finally do believe me, you're trying to have them arrested? What the hell?"

"Thanks, Barry," Eddie groans.

"Sorry."

That really didn't sound very sorry Barry.

"No worries," Eddie responds. "The captain shot me down. Look, I'm not feeling like lunch. See you later."

Maybe it's better that I just stay single. Those two have enough drama to cover for the rest of us.

Iris sighs. "He's just jealous."

"Of who, the Flash?" I ask.

"Should he be?" Barry adds and I shoot him a look and he just shrugs at me.

Subtle Barry. Really subtle.

"No," Iris says, caught a little off guard. "I'll, uh see you guys later."

Once Joe sees that Iris is gone, he walks over to the two of us. "You guys need to get to STAR Labs."

"Yeah, I will, before I eat," Barry responds and speeds off into the Captain's office, and then out of the prescient.

"Did he just-" Joe starts.

I sigh, letting out a little chuckle. "Yeah Joe. Barry just stole Captain Singh's lunch."