Chapter 26 - My Badass Ex-Coworker

I only have one word to explain my hiatus: .......finals

enjoy! ;)

"Anger, hate, aggression," Dr. Wells says, scrolling through the data I brought to STAR Labs.

"A Jedi craves not these things," Cisco says almost giggling before his smile slightly fades away when no one laughs. "What? No one is feeling that quote?"

"Maybe not the right time Cisco," I say a little reassuringly.

Barry sighs, rubbing the back of his neck. "Everyone in the bank went total savage for, like, five minutes. And then they were fine again."

"I pulled background checks on all of the people who were in the bank when I was at CCPD," I add. "Other than the guy with more speeding tickets than I dared to look into, they were all just regular, law-abiding people with no criminal background or history. Something made them act this way."

"Anger can be a powerful emotion. If this meta-human can engender irrational feelings of anger in his victims, he can do a lot of damage," Dr. Wells responds.

"Rani and Detective West also helped get a copy of the cat scans the hospital did on everyone at the bank," Caitlin says. "Take a look."

"Well, look at this, the emotion centers of the brains are still showing signs of being overwhelmed. Particularly the area that controls executive function. That's the part of the brain that stops people from doing whatever random and potentially destructive thing that pops into their head."

"How do you think the meta does it to them?" Barry asks.

"That's the 1/2 million dollar question," Dr. Wells says as a slight buzz distracts Barry.

"Hey, if you guys figure it out, just give me a call, okay?"

"Is The Flash off to another rooftop rendezvous with Iris?" Caitlin probes and I avert my gaze away from the conversation to my keyboard.

"No," Barry says, before realizing Caitlin's unbelieving expression. "Yeah, but she probably just wants to ask me... I mean, you know, him... about meta-human stuff for her blog."

"Do you want some advice?" Caitlin offers.

"No matter what I say, I'm getting the advice, right?" Barry asks, and I stifle a snort from my computer.

"Don't get involved. As The Flash or yourself. You don't want to be the one to blame for their breakup or someone else's heartache." Caitlin responds and I smile to myself.

"Okay. I hear you." Barry says before speeding off.

Caitlin looks in the direction that he ran before plopping down next to me, "I'm sorry Rani."

"Don't worry about it," I respond, furiously typing away. "I appreciate what you did there, but right now we've got bigger problems than Barry being pissed at me. Plus maybe it's for the best."

"How could this possibly be for the best?" Caitlin asks gently. "You two have pretty obvious feelings for each other."

I glance up at her. "Perhaps, but I know that Barry likes Iris and I don't want to be his side girl or something that he gets with until she's free."

"Uh huh, preach," Cisco mumbles and we both turn around to him, eyebrows raised. "What? Don't tell me you've never had that experience?"

"Been there done that," Caitlin adds and I giggle.

"Actually up until this, I never had that problem," I respond.

"Really?" Cisco asks a surprised look on their face.