Chapter eight

Sheri Murphy
All rights reserved©
Chapter eight

My cousin who will remain nameless stayed with me at the house while my parents went to work and my sibling was in school. I could not walk so I needed someone there at all times. To use the restroom, take a bath or whatever else I may need.

I remember she would help me get to my feet. So I could get to the bathroom. It was excruciating. The pain was so bad at times I couldn't breath. Tears flowed freely with no way to stop them.

Now I was never one to back down from my pain or surrender to it. I would ignore it or do my best to keep going until I could not any longer.

I remembered a time I had been playing outside. I was around five years old. I found some glass on the ground. When I picked it up, it sliced right through my pinky finger. It was hanging on by a thread. I went into the house and wrapped a bandage around it. I didn't want anyone else to know. They would of made me go to the hospital. I hated hospitals. Man did I get into trouble later on when my parents found out. I needed stitches, but refused to go get them. So I got lectured and yelled at about that too. To me it was better than going to the hospital.

So needless to say if I could bypass that pain and go back out and play. I wasn't one to complain about my pain.

However this, this was a whole other ball field. I had never felt pain like that in my life. Every time I tried to put pressure on my right side it was like a bolt of lightning shot through my brain.

My leg, back everything hurt. Most of the time all I did was sleep. It was hard to at first. Because I was so tired but every time I would move, it would wake me up. Until I was so exhausted that I could not stay up any longer. Whoever was watching me would place pillows and blankets around me. To keep me immobilized and so that I would not fall onto the floor when I was sleeping.

I slept on the couch because it was easier to care for me there then in my bed. I had to have everything done for me.

I remember my parents were going out one night. They made me promise I was okay, and that I would be alright by myself. They gave me instructions that if I needed anything I could just call the neighbors next door. Well, I don't know what happened. They left and I was okay. Until I had to go to the bathroom. I searched around the room.

There was a dark brown wooden coffee table in front of the couch. No phone there. There was a red recliner chair that I sometimes sleep in. However, have avoided recently. No phone on it. There was two dark wooden end tables. No phone that I could see on either. As much as I could without moving much I checked around myself. I couldn't find the phone.

"The damn phones not anywhere." I thought. Someone had moved it and I did not know where it was. I was so mad.

I sat for as long as I could before I just could not wait any longer. I slid off of the couch the best I could. Using my hands first. I went head first off the couch. Crawled on the floor on my stomach. Careful not to use my legs. Only as little as possible.

It was excruciating. It took me forever to get as far as I had gotten. When someone knocked at the door. I screamed to let them I know I was there. When they saw me on the floor they came in and carried me to the bathroom.

My family kept coaxing me and telling me I had to try to walk. Or I never would again. They had no idea that no one wanted that anymore then myself. They also had no idea how bad it hurt to try.