Chapter twelve

Sheri Murphy
All rights reserved©
Chapter twelve

Go ahead, continue." I said, looking her dead center into her eyes. Waiting to see if she was crazy or if I was just missing something.

"I mean, we are such good friends. That I'm afraid to ruin that. If he's turned off by the idea of it." She reached over and placed an apple pie that was sitting on the counter into the microwave.

As the cinnamon and apple aroma swirled through the air. I sat and thought for a second.

"Oh!" I said, as I watched her take the pie out of the microwave. Placing it on a napkin in front of herself.

"You want some?" She asked as she split it down the middle with a butter knife.

"No thanks!" I said, Relieved that she wasn't bat shit crazy. I thought she was gonna come up with some off the wall crazy ass excuse she couldn't ask him herself.

"I thought you went bat shit crazy for a minute. I mean I know you've had stress and all. You never know with someone. Shit happens." I said, as I stood up and pushed my jeans down.

She laughed before she said, "If you think he'll get mad at you. Then don't tell me." She too stood up. Washed her hands at the sink. She Grabbed the towel off of the handle of the refrigerator. Dried her hands and put the towel back on the handle of the door.

"I know the answer to that. However, maybe he should be the one to tell you. Hold on stay right here." I said making my way to the door.

I opened the door to the living room and pulled Duke over to me by the arm of his shirt.

He stumbled over to where I was holding the kitchen door open. I was leaning halfway in and halfway out.

"Hey! Tara asked me a question about your thoughts on something. You want me to answer her? Or do you want me to tell her to ask you?"

He looked confused for a moment before he said, "Is it about what I think it is about?" He asked.

"Yep!" I said, glancing at him sideways.

He smiled slightly. "Okay! I think your just the right one to answer it." He brushed his arm with his hand where I had grabbed him at. Smoothing the fabric down once more.

"Me?" I said, recoiling for a second. Pointing at my chest. "Why me? It's your question."

"Oh come on. I'd do it for you." Duke said, looking me square in the eyes.

"Oh really?" I said, "Go right ahead than. " As I pointed to Jasmine.

"What?" He asked, glancing over in her direction. "Did I sound surprised?" He asked. Yeah! I'm really not. That's awesome though it's about time."

"Really?" I asked feeling a little bit of skepticism.

"If anyone would have noticed my true feelings it would of been Duke. However, this time I really don't think he did. He would of teased about it. Although he did mention the shower thing earlier."

I knew Duke enough to know that it would fester for a bit before you got his real reaction. So I would just wait for a few days and see what happens.

I walked into the kitchen chuckling to myself.

"What's so funny?" Tara asked.

"Oh! Nothing! It was about me. Anyways, umm let's see." I said taking my seat at the table. I reached my hand across the table and she placed her's inside mine. "How can I say this?"

"What?" She said, "Never mind! I don't want to know." She turned her stair away from mine and motioned with her hand waving the answer away.

She went to pull her hand out from within mine. And I squeezed tighter. Keeping her hand in place.