Chapter twenty three

Sheri Murphy
All rights reserved©
Chapter twenty three

Gage woke up sometime around noon. His mother Sandra was standing in the kitchen.

She was a pretty women, high cheek bones. With green eyes and blonde hair. And a smile that could melt the toughest of hearts.

Sandra was cooking Marsala sauce for their chicken dinner party later on with Jimmy's mother.

Normally she made it right before dinner. However, she had other things to do later. This way she could just heat it up.

Gage wore his usual blue basketball, polyester shorts and no shirt. His black  hair was all askew.

When Sandra saw him walk into the kitchen rubbing his eyes. She walked up to him. Placed her hand on the side of his face. "Nice shiner kiddo." She said, examining his purple eyelid.

He leaned forward and kissed her on her cheek. "Morning mom." He than made his way to the frig. He grabbed the carton of orange juice. Opened it and almost took a swig from the container. Until he saw the look on her face.

Gage walked over to the counter, opened the cupboard and took out a cup. While Sandra reached into the freezer for a steak.

Gage poured himself a glass. Chugged it and poured another one. "You want some?" He asked her.

She reached her hand out to hand him the steak. "No honey! Thank you!"

He took the steak out of her hand. "What I am supposed to do with this!" He placed the steak on the counter and opened the frig to return the carton of juice.

"Put it on your eye. It will help the swelling, help to heal it."

Sandra grabbed her coffee cup on the counter. Walked around him as he made his way to the kitchen table. Steak in hand. Sandra poured herself the rest of the coffee in the pot. Fixed it to her liking and walked over to where he sat.

She sat down and he lit a cigarette. "I wish you'd stop those." She said, placing her coffee cup down in front of her. Encircling both hands around the cup.

"I know you do." He said, placing the cigarette into the ashtray.

"Who's coming over for dinner later?" Gage asked. Watching the smoke as it climbed it's way up to the ceiling.

"Jimmy's mom." She said.

"Oh! Guess I'll find something to do." He said. Reaching over grabbing his smoke out of the ashtray.

"So you wanna tell me what happened last night?" Sandra asked. Obviously referring to the police station. By the time they all got home it was late. And they all just went to bed.

He leaned back into his chair and rubbed his hand through his hair. "Nothing really mom. Just a scuffle between friends." He crossed his arms across his chest.

Straightening up the table. She said, "Oh! Is that all? Just a scuffle?"

"Yep!" Gage said, "You wanna tell me what that was about last night?" Gage asked.

"What do you mean honey?" She asked looking him directly in the eyes.

"Having Sydney O'brian appear at the station? Them not being able to find my fingerprints. Or my address."

Sydney O'brien was one of his step father's friends from college. He was a detective for another precinct. 

"I don't know What you're talking about." She said, standing up to go stir the sauce. "Sydney must of just been at the station for some reason."

"Okay! And what about the records?" He asked, getting up to put his empty glass into the sink.

"What do you mean? O'brian found them didn't he?" She stirred the sauce and added a little bit of spices.

Gage wasn't convinced with her answer. Or the demeanor she had with it. However, he would leave the subject alone for now.

"I'm going to take a shower." Gage said as he walked down the hallway.

Something wasn't sitting well with him. He'd known his mother his whole life. He knew when she was nervous. His new step dad was okay. However, some of the assholes she went threw trying to find him. Well they were some scumbags. At least he had her sobriety to be thankful for.

After the breakup with his real father, Sandra had gotten pretty bad into drinking. She's bring men home, they'd both be drunk. They'd pass out in the living room or wherever they were. Some of the men found their way into his room. Some would just tell him sob stories about why he was here and drunk.

Gage remembered one guy who when he wasn't drinking, wasn't a bad guy actually. Seems he carried a burden he just couldn't rid himself of. And would probably carry with him the rest of his life. The man's name was Grady. He was a truck driver for a local machine shop. He delivered parts to the shop from another affiliated company.  Sometimes he would have to go out of state to get the shipments they needed.

He was called at home one night to go on an emergency shipment. His wife had been on his case about not seeing him. Being that it was so close to Christmas she was really having an issue.

He finally at the last minute talked her into going with him. Worst mistake of his life. They left for the trip and the roads weren't that bad. He made good time and they had some much needed conversations they'd been avoiding or just didn't have time for.

They made it to the shop and picked up the shipment and was on the way home. It started to snow and the roads were getting slick. He saw police lights up ahead and slowed down to pass. He was almost there when another car came flying up next to him. The man ran right through the barrier and slammed into the police car that was blocking the car that had crashed. Grady over corrected and had to slam on his breaks. He jackknifed and took out the car that hit the police car. Sending it into a ball of flames. His rig slid off of the road and flipped twice. His wife was killed instantly.

Gage remembered Grady with fond thoughts because he's the only man he's ever seen who sat and openly weeped as he talked through his story. He kept saying how sorry he was. And he never meant to hurt her.

For weeks Grady would come in, tell Gage stories about when he was younger and on the road. How scary it was sometimes and how much fun it was other times.

After a while once his mother realized that he enjoyed talking to Gage more than he enjoyed drinking with her. It ended between them. However, Sandra was still friends with Grady and still is. She called him when she needed a babysitter.

Gage talked to Grady the other night. He had once promised Gage that he would take him on a trip in his rig. Gage made him keep his promise. They would be leaving for Nevada next week. If it was up to Gage he would be making this trip without the knowledge of his mother. He wanted to go to his aunt's house. He wanted to try to find his father.

As he stood in the shower he thought of Grady and how much that must hurt him. To lose his wife like that. It was apparent that he felt it his fault. Gage didn't know how he would react to something like that. He'd imagine probably within the same manner Grady did. He wondered if he'd drowned himself in his work. Or if he'd wallow at the bottom of a Jack Daniels bottle. Or if he'd wind up crazy and homeless. That's something he supposed affected everyone differently. Gage hoped that was one thing he never would have to face.

He pictured himself an old dirty bum. Standing under a bridge with a trash can fire burning. Sipping on his bottle of Jack, And watching the rats chase each other with all the other hoboes.

He physically shook at the last thought. Rinsed his hair and shut the water off. Got dressed and walked out into the living room.

It's kind of funny how the police station confirmed his suspicions.  He made these plans with Grady a week ago before that situation ever happened. He just had to know what happened. He wasn't gonna say anything to anyone. He would leave in the middle of the night.

To be continued