Chapter twenty

Sheri murphy
All rights reserved ©
Chapter twenty

Sometime around noon, Jasmine woke up. The smell of her mothers perfume lingered in the air. Mixed with the scent of hot chocolate. She opened her eyes and stretched slowly.

"Hi honey!" Her mother said, sliding the cup overflowing with marshmallows in her direction.

She reached up, than took a tiny sip. "Thanks!" She said, using the napkin the cup set on, to clean up the excess that was left on the table.

Her mother slid her a coaster.  Jasmine promptly put it under her cup.

"You'd rather have coffee huh?" Her mom asked, fluffing the satin pillow behind her back.

"Yeah! This is okay though." She stated taking another sip before placing it back on the coaster.

Drenda was in her late thirties now. However, when she had first met Jasmine's father she was a collage student struggling to get through her last year.

He was visiting his cousin in a dorm a few buildings away. She almost missed the opportunity to meet the love of her life. She almost opted to stay home from a party she had been invited to. She had things to study and she was already struggling this year.

One of her roommates came in. Made her get dressed and off to the party they went. Drenda in her purple and white dress that just passed the knee. Pearl necklace with matching earrings. And her favorite white pumps. With a tiny no strap purse she placed under her arm as they walked out the door, At first she just stood against the wall and checked her watch waiting for her friend to tire. She didn't want to come in the first place. All  she could seem to think about were her studies she had left back in her room. When she realized this night wasn't anywhere done in the near future. As she watched her friend spin across the floor in her suiters arms. She walked over and took a seat on the couch.

A few minutes later a guy walked over and sat down next to some blonde. Drenda set her drink on the table and went about her own business. However, every once in awhile Drenda would glance over and the man on the other end would be looking directly at her. Not even trying to hide the fact that he was.

While the blonde babbled away his attention was focused on Drenda. At first Drenda thought how rude that would be. To blatantly ignore the women he sat with. Until the blonde women got up and started dancing with whom Drenda would find out later, was his cousin. The blonde was his cousins girlfriend just welcoming him home from his collage.

A slow song came on and Jason the man on the other end of the couch asked her to dance. For the rest of the night they shared wine, dances and stories. And that's how they came to be who they are today.

Jasmine pushed the blanket down with her feet. "Did you cover me up?" She asked, untangling her feet so she could sit up.

"Nope! Your father did on his way out the door." She reached over grabbed the blanket that hung halfway on the floor. Loosely folded it and placed it on the chair next to herself.

She Leaned back, grabbed her steaming cup. Blew into it and finally after a long pause said, "So you and Dakota have been spending a lot of time together lately." She put her feet up and looked at Jasmine waiting for an answer.

As if there really was anything else to say but "Yes! We have been." She stated. Not offering anymore information than she needed too.

"That's it? That's all you have to say?" She flicked the station on the television screen as an old black and white show tune blared through the speakers.