Ch. 3...Team 8

The slamming of the book on my desk woke me up from a deep sleep, causing me to fall off my chair.

"Nice to see you are still alive with us, Jetta." Mr. Clarke said as he slowly walked back to the front of the room. "For now that is."

I blushed and tried to ignore the giggles around me.

"Now that I have EVERYONE's attention again; please stop that snickering, fools; your homework today will be to research heroic acts and be able to perform them."

The rest of the students groaned.

"Ahh, tt-tt-t. You guys obviously have NO reason to be enrolled in this academy if you can't save the public."

"But we're not heroes, Mr. Clarke." One guy said as he shot a laser pellet from his palm to his friend across the room.

"So I see.. NOW, before dismissal, you guys will be put into teams."

As everyone else got excited, my stomach sank deeper into the pits of my soul. How can I possibly survive a team class project if practically everyone in this building hates me? I quickly glanced to Myra as she crossed her fingers for good luck.

Mr. Clarke started naming the students into groups and handing out different subjects for them to research on. So far it seemed like everyone was pretty happy with their random picks, and assignments. As the rest of my classmates were getting organized, I waited anxiously to hear my name being called out and I prayed that I wasn't put with anyone who would hate me.

"Team 8 consists of, Maya Solaris, Blake Winchester, Nicholas Cloud, and Jetta."

The wind seemed to have been knocked out of me when Mr. Clarke called out the names of team 8. I could feel myself getting lightheaded, and my hands turned clammy. I glanced at Blake who avoided looking at me, and Nicholas's face turned red with fury. The room stood still and everyone slowly turned to look at me with disgust. Trying to comprehend, I raised my shaking hand.

"Uh, M-Mr. Clarke, there must be some mista-"

"You heard me child. You are in team 8. Now please stop trying to interrupt my class, I have a final team to announce."

"But-"

"Silence!" He bellowed sending everyone to cover their ears from his piercing screech. He flips the paper back around and cleared his throat. "Now then, Team 9 consists of, Johnathan Thomas, Avery Dole, Davey Summers, and Lucas Adams."

As team 9 whooped with joy, I sunk lower into my chair and wished it was a shell I could disappear into. Me on the same team as Blake, some kid named Nicholas and Myra. Myra was the only positive thing about my group but Blake? Of all people, Blake ended up being on my team?

I glanced towards him again and our eyes locked. This time he just slightly nodded his head. Ashamed that he caught me gawking at him, I lowered my head onto my desk and let out a soft guttural groan...I'm so gonna fail this project.