Ch.16. The Prep for. . .

Liesel had her back to me as she looked through her closet. She removed several expensive garments that were kept in individual body bags. She places a few on her bed and sighs as she looked at each one. I stood leaning against the wall as she went about her room.

Ever since Derick appeared at my house, she acted like a lovestruck fool. She kept tripping and dropping things, and bumping into walls. It was rather noticeable that that wasn't how she acted at all when her and I first met. I mean, yea she's a bimbo. . but she changed after she caught me staring at Derick a few times.

I figured she thought I liked the guy. But that wasn't the case.

Derick seemed familiar to me, in a sense that I knew him from somewhere. . .I just couldn't remember where. I caught him taking a few glances at me a couple of times and when we made eye contact, he'd look away. And ever since then, she's been. . .odd around me. I had to clear the air between her and I for the sake of our plan. Prom is a few hours away and I didn't want a little misunderstanding to ruin it. But before I could open my mouth to start, she beat me to it as if she read my mind.

"Look Jetta, I have a huge crush on Derick. I know he might not even look at me. I understand he is doing his job to be my date, but this is like a dream come true to me. Even if a nightmare is about to start. I just want to enjoy Derick for tonight. Even if it's for one dance." Clutching a glittery gown in her hand, Liesel sighed and glanced towards where I was sitting. "I don't even know why I'm telling you this."

I just stood there blinking at her, computing everything she told me. Finally I just shook my head and blurted out my answer. "Well, I'm glad you brought it up. Liesel, listen. I've been wanting to clear the air with you about it. I don't like Derick like that. He's cool. But he just seemed familiar to me even though I just met him last night. That's all. I actually like someone else, and to be honest, I know how you feel. . ok?"

Her petite face looked at me as if I told her she'd won the lottery. She sighed in relief and held her chest. "I'm glad."

"Right." I said rolling my eyes.

She stopped for a second then turned towards me again. "What do you mean 'he looks familiar?"

"I. .I don't know. Like I know him from somewhere. But don't worry about it. It's none of your business anyways. You should hurry up and finish. You don't wanna be late." I said texting back Myra that we're almost done.

"I know." She says. Her demeanor changed from depressed and sulky, to energetic and excited in an instant. 

She is literally the definition of an emotional roller coaster, and I wanted off her ride. I put on my headphones and listened to my mp3 player as she looked for a dress. Her mouth formed words but I couldn't hear what she said. I lowered my headphones a little annoyed, and asked her to repeat what she said.

"I said, where did you get those headphones?" 

Shaking my head from her random questions I looked at them and thought for a minute. "I don't really know. All I know is that I've had these for a long time." My thumb brushed over the duct tape I used to keep the wire connected to the earpiece, and chipped at a few pieces of fabric that was coming off around one of the ears. I never really thought about how, or when I got these. . .I just had em.

"Well, I asked cause they don't make them like that anymore." She said trying on gown after gown. 

"Yea. You're right." I agreed. 

Liesel threw on a pink laced garment, with jewelry embroidered into the material. The tiny gems sparkled into the sunlight as she twirled and the sweetheart cut at the top made her look bustier than normal. Bobbing my head to a song by Weezer, I stared at Liesel as her eyes analyzed me from head to toe.  

"Jetta?"

"Yea?"

"You're coming with me, right? To prom I mean?"

"Yea?" I said rather confused. "That's my part in the plan, yes."

She rushed towards me and yanked me to her closet. Before I had a chance to refuse or say anything, she takes a dress cover out of her closet and hands it to me; Smiling like a little girl on Christmas.

"Liesel, what-"

"Shh! This is prom. You're going to wear this dress and look your best with me, ok?"

"But that's not part of the plan!"

"No, but it's part of mine. Now hurry up so that I can do your hair."