Chapter 9: Fractured Reality

Silver bit down on the juicy morsel of meat in front of her, rumbling slightly at the tangy, salty taste of blood. She didn't care of the mess she made, or the amused glances of the dragons watching her. It had been too long since such a meal, and she was determined to cherish every moment. The now unrecognisable carcass was quickly devoured, bones and all, before she sat back with a satisfied burp.

"I don't think I've ever seen you eat so much so quickly," stated her fire dragon brother, Raize, with a snarky grin.

She smiled back at him with a snort. He had grown quite a bit over the nine months it seemed, and his tail now reached a foot further the Silver's, much to the dragoness's annoyance. Her brother was an incredibly handsome dragon, even she had to admit that. His red scales looked as if they were polished to an odd perfection. Even the slightest piece of light seemed to make them shine. His wings were the perfect length in proportion to his body, as were his tail and horns. There was a gleam in his eye, one that spoke of a certain charm that she new her brother enjoyed. The talons along each foot were perfectly sharpened, creating the picture of a near perfect specimen. But there was also something else. A heat which radiated outwards from his inner core, sending a hint of the overwhelming power Silver knew her brother controlled.

"Did they even feed you in A.O.D.H?" He asked, sitting down near her.

She nodded her head, "Of course they did. I had a meal once every two days."

"Then why are you so... skinny?"

The dragoness hesitated, looking down over herself. The nine months captured by A.O.D.H hadn't been kind to her. Her well toned body had become a wreck. Her ribs were showing at some points, her scales were loose and dirty from her escape. Her shell didn't shine as brightly as it usually did, the elronium metal taking on a rather dull shade. Soon though she would be back to her previous self.

Silver licked the blood from her maw, "They worked me pretty hard."

"Aah... did they... you know..." He said, a hint of anger crossing through his voice.

She shook her head, "No, they didn't. In fact, they gave me a choice on the matter."

"Ha? That's strange," he frowned, "Why would they do that?"

She shrugged, "No idea."

A small yawn escaped the dragoness and she shook herself. It was the middle of the day, but she was quite tired. After travelling for five days she really needed a rest. That would have to wait however, as Iraliene, the leader of Sky Mountain, wanted to have a talk. It was only to be expected, she just hoped the life dragon wouldn't be too hard on her.

"Where's Zepos?" asked Silver.

The lightning drake hadn't made an appearance since she arrived back. She had thought he would have been eager to see her once again. She knew she wanted to see him.

"He's been out scouting with a small group for the past couple of days," Raize replied, "He should be back sometime soon, within two or three days."

"Hmm," Silver nodded, slightly annoyed but understanding. She had missed the lightning dragon, a lot.

"Don't worry," Retrix, who was also there,  said with a small grin, "He'll be back before your know it."

"I know," she said with a grim smile, before yawning once again and stretching her wings, "Well I better go. Don't want to keep Iraliene waiting."

"I'll come with you," Retrix replied, getting up from where he had been laying.

She nodded and flapped her wings once, then twice, slowly lifting into the air, before gliding out of the cave they had been resting in, Retrix close behind. Sky Mountain had changed quite a bit in nine months. The dragons seemed more disciplined, more determined in some ways. The floor below was smooth again, entirely fixed from Raize's equilibrium. There seemed to be a greater number there as well, as if Sky Mountain had been steadily growing in Silver's absence.