Chapter 41: Battle of Equilibria

The battlefield was silent. All fighting had stopped. Dragons just hovered in the air, confused and fearful. The control in the mind devices had completely disappeared. Fires flickered from the city below, still spreading rapidly. There were car alarms wailing in the distance. The Machine still pulsed its white energy, spreading its ominous power across the sky. But that power was insignificant now.

Standing atop the same building was the source of the silence. A metallic dragon, unmoving on the roof. It was unlike any other dragon most of them had ever seen. The metal it was created from moved like liquid over the surface of its skin. Glowing silver eyes shone from its head. Yet it didn't move, as if it were waiting for something.

On another building parallel to them another dragon rose. Eldawin. Despite being recently thrown into a building he seemed mostly unharmed, besides the few cracked scales and small scratches. There was a snarl on his maw and anger in his eyes as he took in the silver equilibrium.

"Very well," his voice echoed unnaturally loud through the sky, "If it comes down to a battle between equilibria, than so be it."

Another power began to rise up through the dragon. This one far different from any other they had experienced. It had the same effect. The sky around Eldawin twisted and warped as time and space bent under the pressure. At the same time a pulse ran through the air, causing many of the dragons to flinch as something seemed to begin changing in the sky around them. Not something they could see, but something they could feel.

Silver took a step forward, deciding she would end this before it had even begun. She launched forward, moving her body into a long narrow stream of metal, spearing straight for Eldawin. Somehow though he managed to force himself into equilibrium far faster than normal, and the area around him instantly exploded with a blast of wind so strong it caught the liquid metal and blew it backwards, distorting it.

Silver quickly drew herself back together, forming into a dragon. A low growl sounded from her, echoing through the sky as she looked upon the mental equilibrium for the very first time. At first glance it didn't look as if he had changed much. He still had the same body, same look, but his eyes were glowing and a massive amount of power radiated out from him.

"Welcome, Silver, to the mind," he whispered, his voice echoed from everywhere all at once.

The building below him suddenly erupted, exploding into a million pieces of debris and rubble. It circled up and around him in a spiral, before a large slab of concrete flung around in Silver's direction. She mentally snorted, pulling herself into a narrow spike and simply spearing through the concrete. Quickly she moved forward, spreading herself out across the sky, aiming to surround the mind dragon before he had a chance to retaliate, only to find herself blocked off by a wall of rubble. Again she broke through it extremely easily, but as she moved onto the other side she realised Eldawin had disappeared.

Slowly she began to move again, rising higher into the sky until she was just below the clouds. The metal then began to spread outwards, much like it had done at A.O.D.H, creating a large liquid lake above the city, weaving and moving as it searched for its prey.

* * *

The dragon army, now free from Eldawin's control, quickly fled from the battle between two of the most powerful dragons on the planet. They spread out, flying in different directions over the city. Some were more considerate and swooped down to pick up the few that had been knocked unconscious during the battle, while others simply fled for their lives.

Retrix watched them go, before turning to look at the dragons below. He doubted he would be able to get all of them to safety before the fight between the equilibria grew out of hand. So he opted to save as many as he could before then. He quickly swooped down to the ground.