Chapter 24: The Threat

A chilling breeze whipped through the sky, swirling through the roiling ocean waves. The sky was clear and the sun was high, yet any heat was non-existent. Water was the only thing visible for miles in any direction, and there was the occasional iceberg floating aimlessly along ocean currents. The only living creature was a lone dragon, flying swiftly through the sky, eager to find land once again.

Silver shivered in the breeze. Her shell was still absent from her back, allowing her to fly far faster then usual, but she was unprotected from the elements, and she had forgotten how cold that arctic really was. Maybe she should have brought Zepos along. At least he was warm. Snorting to herself she flapped her wings a little harder, trying to keep herself from gliding.

She could see the white plains of the Antarctica in the distance. It would likely take her another hour's flight to reach it, at least that's what she guessed. The passed couple of days had been almost refreshing for the dragoness. At night she trained with O'hen, furthering her control over her metal, then in the morning she would get up and continue on her trip, allowing herself time to think. But now she was getting to the end of her journey, and she was a little sad that her time alone was coming to an end so quickly.

As land came closer Silver recognised the general area where she, along with her group, had stayed for the night back during her first visit to Eldawin's Syndicate. Smiling to herself she flapped her wings a couple more times to speed up and glided down to the rocky area that would be her shelter for the night. She instantly spotted the cave where they had slept. Looking into the sky she still had a couple of hours before nightfall. That would give her time to figure a way on how to stay warm.

Folding in her wings she dropped from the sky, landing easily on the stone below. The breeze was less down there, but it didn't make it any less cold. Her shell expanded back over her, as she decided that it was better to get some protection from the wind rather than none at all. Her own body heat should keep the shell at least slightly warm.

Smiling to herself she walked inside the cave, looking around. It was so familiar, but without the group of dragons with her, it was very silent. It seemed like so long ago that it had happened, when she had been travelling with Zepos, Retrix... and Merene. She missed those simpler times, but now it was almost as if that old group had been ripped to pieces. Now she knew that Merene was Eldawin, and while Zepos and Retrix were friends she had a feeling they wouldn't stay that way.

Opening her mouth she fired a large glob of elronium metal onto the floor, and smiled. It was a trick she had learnt very recently, but it definitely helped on long trips like this. Taking a deep breath she closed her eyes, reaching for that connection she shared with the metal. Taking hold of it, she began to meld the metal, changing its shape and reforming it until it looked exactly how she wanted it to.

Opening her eyes she saw her handiwork, and grinned. Sitting in front of her was a metal nest, perfectly round and smooth. Never again would she have to sleep on straw or sticks, or rock. She could easily make herself a nest whenever she wanted to.

"Well done," said a sudden voice as a silvery aura faded into existence.

Silver turned to see O'hen sitting in the cave. She smiled at him, "It's getting easier and easier."

"I told you it would," he replied.

"So, what are we going to be doing today?" she asked, a little curious.

"Well... since we are in Antarctica now, I figured it's about time I teach you how to heat and cool you're metal. It might make this trip a little bit more comfortable," he said.