Chapter 35: Extreme Measures

The old rusted farm shed creaked angrily against a strong gust of wind. It's tin was peeling around the edges, looking as if it were about to fly off at any moment. Gravel paving surrounded the shed, leading up to a small run-down farmhouse atop a slight rise. Pale green-brown grass swept over the nearby countryside and a flock of sheep grazed peacefully in a ten ache paddock. The sun was steadily rising behind them, the golden light making the grass glow.

"You've got to be joking!?" Silver's rather annoyed voice suddenly rang out, shattering the countryside silence.

There were a small group of people inside the shed, the only two dragons being Silver and Retrix. In front of them was the vehicle they were going to be using to smuggle the dragoness into nearby New York City. It was a white farm ute dotted with spots of rust. The steering wheel looked as though it was about to break off. However it wasn't the car that had drawn Silver's attention. It was what was attached to the back.

"I am not travelling in a horse float," she snorted.

"So you do know what it is," replied Liam, scratching the back of his head.

"Of course I do! I lived on a farm for a year!" The dragoness growled, "I thought we would be using a truck or something... not a horse float."

"Truck's are too big, too immobile. At least in this we can have a slightly quicker getaway if anything does go wrong," stated Tyler, "And well, you're not that much bigger then a horse. We thought this would suit our needs perfectly."

Silver narrowed her eyes, glancing at the trailer then back at the humans she was going to be travelling with.

"We even cleaned it out and everything. And if anything goes wrong it won't be that hard for you to break out. There's a radio attached to the inside so we can talk, and we've taken out the stalls for more room," said Liam, "Beside, if everything goes as planned, you will be out of it by the time we reach central park."

"Yeah, but still... a horse float?" she sighed, "Fine."

"Thank you," Liam grinned, slightly amused by her reaction.

"If anything goes wrong, we'll be there," said Retrix.

Silver smiled at the drake, "Hopefully that won't be necessary."

Liam opened the back of the horse float, letting the ramp fall to the ground. Silver looked inside to see that it had been well cleaned out, with the usual stalls removed to make extra space. There was a microphone attached to the top of the roof, allowing communication between her and the drivers. The windows had been mostly covered, but had small gaps where Silver could look out if she chose.

The dragoness walked up the ramp and inside. It was a little tight, she wouldn't be able to open her wings too far and was forced to curl in her tail, but other then that it was reasonably comfortable.

"This is going to be an interesting experience," she muttered to herself.

The other's laughed.

"Alright, let's get going. We are meeting the chief of the New York Police Department at Central Park in a couple of hours. If we want to get there in time we need to be moving," said Liam.

Silver nodded her head, a little bit daunted at the idea of being trapped inside the horse float for that amount of time. Of course, if it became too much, she could always break out. She kept that idea to herself however. Best not to let the others worry.

Tyler swung himself onto Retrix's back. With a small nod of his head, the void dragon took to the air, flying toward the city. They had chosen this farm house to load up because it was the only place safe to do so within a reasonable distance of the city, but it was still an hour or so drive's away.