Chapter 17: Control Part 2

A silvery flash, like the light catching a mirror, shone through the blue sky. It was visible for miles around, but most people would ignore such a phenomenon, unless they knew what it actually was. Silver was gliding through the air, enjoying the new strength in her wings. The strength she had lost over the past nine months. Flying wasn't exhausting anymore, and this newfound energy made her feel as though she could fly forever.

On her back Diana was relaxing against her neck. The human seeming content in the sky. It was one thing about them that made a small sense of pity to well up inside the dragoness. They were unable to fly, on their own that is. They had machines that helped them but it just wasn't the same. Silver trusted in her own two wings, and they never failed her like machines very well could.

"Silver!" a voice called out behind her, "Could we get a bit of a rest. Reha's falling behind!"

The dragoness slowed down and turned, seeing the water dragon struggling to keep up the pace. She felt a little sorry for her, as it was probably very strange to be flying such long distances. With a nod of her head the group of four circled down to a rather open plains area with a forest on either side and what looked like a hill.

The humans on their backs held on as they descended, still a little nauseous. They landed softly, trying to be as gentle as possible. There were a few moans and groans, but other then that most of them were fine. Silver quickly walked over to Reha, who had her wings drooped and her head lowered, breathing heavily.

"You alright?" she asked the water dragoness.

Reha nodded her head, giving a small grin, "I'll... be fine. Just a bit of a rest is all I need."

"Okay," the silver dragon gave her a friendly nudge, before turning toward the others.

One of the humans had walked up the small hill they had landed near and was looking over the surrounding area, keeping a watch out for them. The two drakes seemed to be a little tired as well and were lying down in their own separate areas getting some much-needed rest. They had been pushing the pace quite a bit, but Silver knew that they were getting close to China, and once they past the border they would be free from any dragon-hunting organisation and have a safe pass straight toward Sky Mountain.

"You are a full of energy," muttered West as he spread his wings, "Last time we flew for so long you were more exhausted than Reha."

"That's because I had used up a lot of energy in my equilibrium," replied Silver, flapping her wings a few times to stretch out any stiffness building in the joints.

"Yeah... but still," the wind dragon sighed, "It's weird."

She snorted, "Says you."

"Yes, says I," he said regally, holding himself up.

The dragoness barked a laugh, before glancing up at the human on the hill. It was one of the males, Martin. He had set himself up, looking out over the landscape. A small frown suddenly creased across his face, and he leaned forward, putting a hand to his forehead, gazing at something. Silver titled her head, wondering what he had seen. A worried look passed through his eyes.

"Hey, guys..." he said, turning around to face them, when a gunshot rang through the air.

For a moment everything was silent, then Martin coughed up blood and fell to the floor, dead. The small group froze, staring in disbelief. Even the dragons were shocked. They had grown to know the human after the week they had been together. Talked to him. Laughed with him. Spent time with him. And now... he was gone.